Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildflower_gw

Brilliant Metals Paint From Lowe's

wildflower
17 years ago

I'm thinking of using this on a very large wall in my living room. Has anyone here used this type of paint and are you happy with it? Pros and cons? The color I'm looking at is Blue Sateen...

Comments (3)

• hamptonmeadow
    17 years ago

I am considering using it to make a faux gold foil in my bathroom. Not sure how I am going to achieve that look yet, but just plain on the walls has a rather "too Much" look unless you tone it down somehow. I would consult someone who does faux painting or check out some books at the library. Straight metallic paint can just be too garish.

• wildflower
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hamptonmeadow, I'd love to find out what you end up doing with your bathroom...I read up a little today and there's just not much about the metallics on the web. From what I can gather, the they look best with a textured finish (which I don't want). The stuff from Lowe's says to start with a dark base coat (which would be Freshwater - Lowe's brand) then the Blue Sateen on top. I'd like to sand the wall and have sort of a mirror-looking finish to it. Are you going to have any sort of texture to your wall? I'd love to see pics or know of anything you've been able to find on this...

• Jbrig
    17 years ago

Wildflower,

I'm planning to use the Blue Sateen on one wall (but using a different base coat color that's a bit more gray-blue, called SW #6241 Aleutian). Like you, I want a smooth finish. I have only done it on a posterboard so far. Just haven't had time to really work on it. I, too, would be interested in anyone's input. Oh, I did see that they recommended that you use a semi-gloss as your basecoat to create a shinier finish.

If you end up going this route, I'd love to hear your experience. Also, I don't always check this board regularly, if you would email me at the address listed on My Page, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'll be sure to update when I get mine done, too.