Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tblmom

What color to paint attached garage

tblmom
11 years ago

I'm having trouble decided how to paint my attached garage. We have a 1940 brick colonial with orange/red brick on the bottom, siding on top and a bronw roof. The garage currently sits on the lower left hand corner of the house with a bedroom on top of it. We plan on painting the siding a light off-white/cream color and the shutters a dark brown/black (BM Wenge). The front door will be a deep red (we're thinking Moroccan red at the moment).

I can't figure out what to paint the garage. All the design blogs say to paint it a similar color to the body of the house. First of all, I can't imagine a shade of paint that would match the brick well enough without looking weird. And second, I feel like that would be too many colors to the house with siding, shutters and door already being different colors.

At the same time, I feel like the cream may be too light and the dark brown, too dark. There is an overhang that shadows the door, so the garage is actually more visible than the front door.

For what it's worth, the garage doors carriage style doors that open up from the middle sort of like french doors.

Comments (2)