Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Sanding Vs. Liquid Deglosser Vs. Priming

susanlynn2012
17 years ago

I just spoke with my painter and he can redo the bathroom after his morning job but he says if he uses the Wilbond that he used last time to Liquid Degloss (says he used it on the trim in my house before he put the gloss over the semi-gloss on the trim), I will complain of the smell and my allergies. It is cold outside and there is no windows in the bathroom so I would have to use the bathroom fan and pin up my paper blinds in the bedroom to air it out. (I know I must commit to some kind of room darkening blinds but I am afraid to make a mistake on the color so I have not committed yet and it is getting cold outside so I must make a decision in the next few days.)

I told the painter I do not want him to repaint until after my 1-31-07 W-2 deadline. He says he is busy and will be in the area today and if not, then may not be able to come back until one month from now. He suggests that he can do just as good of a job by sanding with a fine sand paper product and then washing the wall down and then doing two coats of the BM Navajo White Semi-Gloss Paint. Or he says, he can reprime but does not see why I need to do that since the walls were painted about 2 months ago in a color that is light (Deep Cream by Ralph Lauren in a Satin finish) over a tinted primer.

He is going to stop by in the early afternoon to ask me what I want him to do. I really want to finish the house painting so maybe I need to put up with the smell or will the sanding give me just as nice of a finish or patience is a virtue and to repaint in a month when I will be even busier doing income taxes?

Comments (8)

• icidave
    17 years ago

I don't understand what you are trying to do. Paint gloss trim? Paint walls? If you can be more specific, I can probably give you some easy solutions.....

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for replying. I have been so busy all day and finally got a chance to get online.

The painter is coming tomorrow morning. We are going to leave the ceiling in the white satin bathroom paint. We are leaving the White Gloss Trim on the doors and trim alone. Hence, only the walls in the Master Bathroom are being repainted from Ralph Lauren's Deep Cream in a bathroom satin finish to Benjamin Moore's Navajo White in a Semi-Gloss Finish. The Master Bathroom was just primed and painted with two coats of the Deep Cream about 2 months ago. The color is too yellow (looks wonderful in my bedroom the Deep Cream but too "lemon" in the Master Bathroom even when I changed the light bulbs to daylight bulbs...) for the bathroom since there is taupe tile going up the sides of the Jacuzzi and the shower stool and the Jacuzzi, sinks and floor are a bone color.

The Master Bathroom is one of the reasons I fell in love with my townhouse as well as my family room.

• icidave
    17 years ago

I'm still a bit confused I guess about your original question. So let me just tell you what I know. You never really have to 'de-gloss' anything if you are going 'up' in sheen. In other words, you can go from flat to egg to satin to semi to gloss, in that order. You cannot go the other way, period. If you are worried about adhesion you can go one of two ways. Sand lightly with 220 grit across the surface just to 'break the face' of the old coating or you can do what I do and use Gripper Primer. Gripper(sold at Home Depot)literally sticks to everything and there would be no need to worry about adhesion, ever(it even sticks to formica, ceramic tile, and glass!!)Any paint job is ALWAYS about proper prep, painting is the easy part.
    As far as color variations in specific room, I always reccomend to take the color swatch into the actual room being painted, with the lighting in that room giving you your outcome. Always paint two coats on anything, mainly for performance, warranty, and color consistancy. I can tell you from experience, it will tell you right on (anybody's) can, plus on warranty claims; you must have at least two coats.
    I am not entirely sure I helped you, but if you have further questions, please ask. I'll do my best to respond asap.

• icidave
    17 years ago

Great!! I'm glad it all worked out for you.This website is pretty neat, and I discovered it by accident. After reading some of the posts, I just had to become a member. I really enjoy helping people who want to help themselves.
    Even though I work for a paint company, I am able to give the best advice I can by all of the trial and errors I have done throughout my life. I am super glad I am able to pass it along to people who can use the info...

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    17 years ago

icidave, For now on, I am recommending painters use the gripper primer and I will make sure they wait before putting on another coat. I wish I owned a big ladder and was better at painting, then I would do the job myself and do it right from what I have learned from this site and the decorating site about painting the right way. Thank you and the other knowledgeable members of this site for always teaching me and others.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, I meant "from now on" ... I am so tired from working all day from 9 AM to 11 PM. I think I better get some sleep.

• daylite2_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I want to paint my doors, baseboards, and other trim that are now stained and varnished. I plan to use a semi gloss latex paint. What is the best way to prepare them for the semi gloss latex paint? Can I use a liquid deglosser? Must I sand? can you recommend a liquid deglosser brand?
    Thanks
    Allen

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!