Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dining Room White Below the Chair Rail: What finish?

Posted by jmart2009 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 2, 12 at 9:41

We're doing a two tone paint in our dining room. Gold tone above the chair rail: (The color we like is Behr Charismatic, UL180-20, though we may not use Behr paints)

For below the chair rail, we want to paint it white.

What sheen (eggshell, satin, semi-gloss) and which color white should we use on the wall plaster below the chair rail?

We like the BM, Simply White. However are not sure what we should do with the trim. Should we also paint the chair rail and baseboard trim to match the wall paint?

For reference, this is in a 1940's house, original hardwood floors. Currently our trim is semi-gloss bright white across the whole house. We have a 'traditional' style, the dining room specifically has the original chandelier from 1940 and mahogany 1930's dining room furniture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Above the Chair rail paint

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dining Room White Below the Chair Rail: What finish?

Anything you like

o
RE: Dining Room White Below the Chair Rail: What finish?

Your wall color is very similar to what I've got. I'm painting the lower section the same color as the trim, it's BM Atrium white.

I like the pretend wainscoating look so have the rail and baseboard the same color. However in my house, there was no neat old stained trim to deal with - all painted pine to begin with.

This is as far as I've got to at this point - walls and ceiling are painted and lower area is primed. The trim is the color the lower section will eventually be. Doors and windows have to wait until warmer weather to paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here