Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaansu

foam rollers, smooth finish???

jaansu
16 years ago

I just tried these small foam rollers using Amer Trad semigloss paint on a door that I had previously primed and sanded, finally with 150 grit sandpaper so it certainly seemed smooth enough. I had been told the foam rollers would give a very smooth coat but it went on remarkably dimpled. I tried a couple of different techniques, brushing on first and then rolling, but nothing looked better than using a brush. What am I doing wrong? Does the foam need to be totally saturated with paint? Add more Floterol (sp) to the paint?

Comments (12)

• spy10021
    16 years ago

I've used foam rollers many times for smaller project (doors, etc.) and always get a nice smooth surface.

My only guess is that you may have had TOO much paint on the roller. You'll find you'll get a smoother surface using less paint and a gentle touch.

Good luck - hope this was helpful

• Michael
    16 years ago

Some foam rollers will leave dimples or a sand effect. It depends on the quality of the roller cover and the paint being applied.

Heavy bodied waterborne will not finish well with a foam roller. The best method that I've used it roll it with a Wooster Jumbo Koter, then back brush it. You'll have to be a fast painter if backbrushing a heavy bodied waterborne like Pro Classic. It starts to set within 45 seconds.

Michael

• jaansu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This paint does appear viscous, which I assume is what is meant by heavy bodied. I was wondering if I was placing too little paint on the door. I'm almost certainly not loading up the foam with too much. Would too little also lead to brush marks or be more prone to brush marks than too much? Perhaps I need to practise on a waste board first to see what works best.

• Michael
    16 years ago

What paint product are you using?

Michael

• jaansu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lowe's American Tradition semigloss enamel. It is toward the bottom of the can and may be older than I like.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    16 years ago

Lowe's American Tradition semigloss enamel. It is toward the bottom of the can and may be older than I like.

More than likely the cause of your problem.

• Michael
    16 years ago

I've attempted to apply Duration Exterior with a foam roller and it turns out pitted. It required a sanding and recoat with a fabric roller and back brushing.

My experience with Duration is that the heavy paint doesn't release from the foam roller quick enough to lay down an even coat.

Michael

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

You can always thin the paint with Floetrol.

• Michael
    16 years ago

Floetrol doesn't thin paint.

Michael

• brickeyee
    16 years ago

Floetrol sure does thin paint.
    It has no pigment, and is just solvents.
    It does not thin the paint the same as water, but it does thin it out and extend wet time.

• paintguy22
    16 years ago

Flood claims that Floetrol does not thin the paint but it does. They also claim that Floetrol does not affect coverage, but it does. I think this is why many painters will opt for a real extender like XIM over Floetrol.

• Michael
    16 years ago

So do not use Floetrol

Michael