Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becca323

Cabinets Oil Spray or Oil Hand Paint More Durable?

becca323
9 years ago

I'm painting my kitchen cabinets and have already chosen to go with oil based (true white). I've gotten quotes from people who will spray and some from hand paint. I don't really have a huge preference for whether they're smooth - factory looking or more hand done with brush strokes. My main concern is durability. The hand paint is obviously more expensive (almost 2x as much). My friend has sprayed oil and they're chipped within the year. Would hand painting be more durable?

Comments (5)

• Plan9
    9 years ago

I don't know if brushed would be more durable than spray. But I suspect it might because the cured film would be thicker.

However, a "good" brushed paint job will look nicer than a good spray job in a more traditional style kitchen.

But, if you have or want an ultra modern kitchen with slab cabinets spraying is the way to go.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

You do realize Oil-based "Whites" WILL yellow some....don't you?!

You couldn't pay me enough to use Oil-based paint...

UNLESS you're using some of FPE's stuff...which is STUNNING, but you'll PAY for it. It ain't cheap!

Faron

• Peakmom
    9 years ago

More labor intensive to brush on so stands to reason there is more cost. We're in the process of remodeling our bathroom and are going the DIY route. We built a vanity and a linen cabinet and after what seems like exhaustive research, have decided on a product called, Cabinet Coat (formerly called Insl-x) recently bought out by Benjamin Moore. We had it tinted in a BM color, Simply White. All research on this product suggests a rock hard finish that requires no top coat, delivers a smooth finish, is easy to maintain and will last for years and years without chipping. I just finished painting the vanity today and here's my take:

1. Although the can states you only need 2 coats (one primer and one finishing coat), the raw wood soaked up quite a bit of the first coat of paint and ultimately took 3 coats for full coverage. As the paint is expensive it would have been better for me to prime with a less expensive (but still proven) product first.

2. I used a Purdy angled brush to cut in and then a disposable foam roller for the flat surfaces. Spraying is only as good as the person who sprays it on and I am no pro. Brushing gave me more control and the product leveled enough to make me look better than I am.

3. Prep is key to any project and this is no exception. I sanded, vacuumed and tack-clothed first. The Cabinet Coat sanded down great with 220 after each coat.

4. The satin finish is not as shiny as wall satin paint, which turned out to be a good thing for me as I didn't want a glossy finish. If you want something shinier you can put a topcoat on but performance-wise it's not necessary.

Time will tell if this will last but it came highly recommended by a cabinet refinishing pro.

• Peakmom
    9 years ago

This is the finished vanity using 3 coats of Cabinet Coat - (please excuse the messy garage!).

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

Messy garage????? Ha, you should see mine