Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deirdres_gw

Advice on paint finish for tiny Paris apartment

deirdres
11 years ago

I would very much appreciate some advice on how I should go about choosing the paint finish for my tiny kitchen in Paris.
It is the size of an American closet, but the ceiling is high and there is a floor to ceiling (almost) window on on the the walls
As Farrow & Ball is the best (almost only) quality paint available in Paris.that`s what I will be using, and although I would like to be more daring, I will probably choose tallow, as the window is north facing and there are tree tops very close. It`s not all bad, you look at the spires of Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur as you wait for your coffee to brew!
Anyway, the charming chap at Farrow & Ball in St. Germain, suggested, nay insisted (he IS French and one must bow to their superior taste) that in such a tiny space I must use one paint on every surface, walls, ceiling AND cupboards. And it should be Satinee (satin?) As someone who has only used matt on the walls, ever, the idea of that makes me queasy.
I would be so interested to hear the opinion of anyone who has used a non -matt finish in this way.
Thank you.

Comments (4)

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

I've used Modern Emulsion in part of my utility room. Yes, it has a small amount of sheen to it, but it is not noticeable unless there is a light shining directly on it, say from a sconce. The Estate Emulsion is, of course, my first love, and the reason I always try to use F and B, but I wouldn't try it in a kitchen. I know you're considering using the same finish throughout, but I would probably try the Modern in the kitchen and bathroom, and the Estate elsewhere. I do have EE (Red Earth) in a powder room, where I thought I wouldn't have to worry about drips and splashes. Much as I love the look and texture, I have had to paint over some streaks left by guests who splash when they pick up towels.

• deirdres
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kitchendetective, thank you.
    Yes, I have only ever used F & B`s Estate on walls, but in fact next time I paint I may consider using modern in the sitting & bedroom because I used it for the first time on my bathroom wall and I am very pleased. Of course that room is only really seen in lamplight.
    The thing is the guy at F&B in Paris thinks I should use the next level up from modern - which is satinee - on ALL surfaces in the kitchen. He thinks the same finish makes the space bigger. I think that finish is called eggshell on the english color card. Do you think eggshell ( tallow color) would be too much on the walls and ceiling?
    Maybe I should compromise and do modern on the walls and eggshell on the cupboards and ceiling?
    I hate the thought of shiny walls, but on the other hand using just one paint would be easier and cheaper.
    Any opinions greatly appreciated.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Last year, I decided to use up as many of those darling little F&B sample pots from the laundry room project by painting a faux harlequin backsplash above a little utility room built-in desk. The only Estate Eggshell sample that I had was in Cook's Blue, and the shine stands out markedly! Granted, that is a much darker and less subtle color than Tallow, but I'd definitely think twice about satinee throughout the apartment. BTW, I lived in Paris in the 1970s, but never experimented with paints in those days, so I've no first-hand advice for you. Sorry.
    P.S. Eggshell has a 20% sheen.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Fri, Jan 4, 13 at 8:45

• deirdres
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again kitchendetective.
    Gosh no, I wouldn`t do satinee (I`m now sure that`s what we used to call eggshell) on the walls throughout the apartment, but when the time comes to repaint, I may move up to modern. I think I`m over Estate, at least until I move up to a palace with huge rooms.
    But in the meantime, just communicating on this site has clarified my thinking, so for my kitchen, which needs painting NOW, I will probably go with modern on the walls and satinee/eggshell on the cupboards and ceiling.
    I love your idea for using up your sample pots - very creative!