Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybasil_gw

Paint color with this Oriental rug

honeybasil
11 years ago

I have some beautiful rugs that I inherited from my father who loved them. They are sentimental to me, so even though I may not choose them if I were picking my own, I would like to use them. I want to paint my dining room, but I'm wondering what direction to go with this rug. I hate heavy, dark paint colors, and I'm not really a fan of red paint. I favor more blues/greys/neutral, but this neutral on the wall now doesn't do anything for the room. We have gorgeous paneling and molding that I would like to stand out. The trim work is all a cream color which we won't be painting. Any suggestions on where to start with paint color?

Comments (10)

• honeybasil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture with some of the molding in the background. Ignore the terrible lamp on the buffet! That will not be staying!

• Wolfpackmom
    11 years ago

In the first photo it shows a yellow/gold? I would pull that color out of the rug by putting something close on the walls. Yellow/gold will go beautifully with the molding, floors and trim along with the rug and furniture. Love the pup! Shih tzu?? I have two! Please come back and show us an after picture when done!

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Gold would be an easy choice. Navy blue maybe?

• honeybasil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought of gold, but I don't want it to look super formal and dressy. Any specific gold color suggestions? I also love a navy blue room and I could get away with it because of the paneling and molding and high ceilings, but I just don't want the room to feel heavy and dark. I want a dramatic look without being old and stuffy looking, I had looked at Benjamin Moore Hale Navy. Wonder if that would work?

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

I think a medium-light, cool gray would be fine with the rug (as it appears on my monitor).

• honeybasil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, and Wolfpackmom, my dog is a Maltese/Poodle mix or so I was told by the previous owner! She's a sweetheart!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I too was going to suggest the gold....what you can do is take the ben more color wheel and get a close match to the gold, then go up the strip to find a lighter shade and use that.

I'm sitting in the dark now and can't really see the colors but just as an example...

Say BM amber waves was similar to the rug color....look to paint the walls cream or wheat field

If the navy is close to BM blue note, maybe paint the walls mt ranier gray or winter lake.

Also, it looks like there is a picture of some sort over the buffet...are there colors in there that you might like on the wall? After all the picture will be closer to the paint than the rug will....

• honeybasil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was thinking about the picture, but it may or not be staying. It is a landscape with lots of greens, some blue, and some red. I don't want to base anything on it though since I am not sure if we are keeping it. Good idea about he BM color wheel. Thanks!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

If you like the idea of a dark blue room, pick a color that is close to the indigo blue in the rig.

It would look good with the cranberry accents (like the lampshade) that also go with the rug.

• Wolfpackmom
    11 years ago

Honeybasil - try BM Golden Honey or SW Humble Gold. Neither are formal golds and I love both of them.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz