Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briannej_gw

Paint Pallete

briannej
11 years ago

I am trying to develop an overall palette for our home. When we built 2 years ago, I picked "colors" that I liked. I feel like our home is broken and not cohesive since the colors are more saturated and some do not share the same undertone. 2013 is the year for me to get this corrected!
Our main living/dining/kitchen area is SW Cardboard. It is a litte more saturated that I would do again, but with tall walls, I would like to keep this.
We have another color, SW Amazing Gray, that I absolutely love.
I would like to tie together the golds with the grays so I was thinking of trying to bring in the following colors:
SW Cardboard
SW Camelback
SW Believable Buff
SW Amazing Gray
SW Anonymous
Does anyone have an opinion on mixing these two strings of colors?
Also, any advice on coordinating your home like this and trying to make things flow? If you stick with the same palette can you pick and choose rooms, or do you sort of transition from one color to another throughout the house and then would they have to have a common tone or saturation from one room to the immediate next room?
Thank you for any advice :)

Comments (2)

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I've read to generally keep the same value from room to room. I don't know how critical it is or if it's just a safe rule of thumb.

Do you need that many paint colors? Every room doesn't have to be the same color but you'd get good flow by choosing one you love and continuing it throughout the floor or even house for the most part.

I like to have all visible areas complement or frame each other. It's fun to have a room that's out there and different but I still wouldn't want it to clash.

Lay the swatches out together and make sure their undertones work nicely together and you like the whole mix. I'm sure you've already done this!

You can also transition your rooms by using the colors from your furnishings. If your family room has a lot of red, use red as an accent color in the adjoining hall or kitchen so they connect and relate to each other in some way. Also make sure the color schemes of adjoining areas look good together.

• brijir1095
    11 years ago

Thank you for your advice! I need to decide on a color I love! I decided that although there are tall walls, I should consider reprinting the main living areas since I am NOT in love with it. I feel like I am basing all of the other colors off of that, and I should possibly reconsider since that is the hub of the house.