Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sherwin Williams 400 or 200 interior line for home?

Posted by cs6000 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 27, 10 at 8:40

I'm painting our new house, and will use one of these two paints. I can get the paint with a contractor's account at Sherwin Williams. Just did the garage with the Promar 400 stuff. I sprayed it with a Titan 440i, then backrolled over a knock-down drywall texture. Painting a 2 car garage used around 10 gallons. Looks good, but inside the house we will be having a slick wall finish, less forgiving.

I just want the job to look as smooth as possible. My drywall guy, who has lots of painting experience, and knows I'm on a budget, says he'd stick with the 400, which costs me $13/gallon. He says the 200 is supposedly a better quality, but he can't tell much difference. Don't know what that would cost.
Anyone have direct experience with both?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sherwin Williams 400 or 200 interior line for home?

400 is junk . what u want is low sheen eggshell 200 around $17.00 a gallon well worth it ,p.s. painting for over 30 yrs

o

Without a doubt 200 over 400. I would even consider going to Superpaint.

o

He says the 200 is supposedly a better quality, but he can't tell much difference.

Just because he can't tell a difference, doesn't mean there isn't a difference. His opinion could be attributed to several factors. It could be literal; he may have the visual acuity of an opossum. Or, it could be subjective, maybe his taste level and sense of aesthetic is lacking and unrefined. And there's also the idea that many painters paint for a long time using the same products for years and are reluctant to acknowledge or come to terms with the advancements in paint and color world -- they don't like change.

Just because someone is a painter, doesn't automatically make them an expert on paint or color. Painters are no different than any other profession, you can't make assumptions and trust blindly.

You kinda have to watch out for yourself and always remember that no one cares about your house more than you do. Maybe you should visit the Sherwin Williams store and ask if they can show you physical samples so you can evaluate the three choices yourself -- you don't always have to buy sample quarts, sometimes the store will help you out. You have to go and ask what they are willing to do for you.

As far as the choices... IMHO, 200 - eww. 400 - yuck. "Ew" and "yuck" are professional terms to describe crappy looking and feeling paint. (okay, maybe not so professional but that's my humble opinion of both of 'em) If at all possible, go for the Super Paint as suggested. Don't get hyper-focused on just price per gallon.

Might want to do a price comparison based on price per square foot and spreadrates. All things considered, not just price per gallon, you may decide that Super Paint is the better value in the way of overall quality and aesthetics specifically.

o

Well, 400 is what it is and there are cetainly places where it would be okay to use....like a garage. It's also good for when you want a dead flat finish. Dead cheap flats are good for that. If you are looking for durability and washability and a finish that will last, then 200 is the way to go.

o

I have to agree that 200 has some legs, I just don't like how it looks. :D

The universe has quite a sense of humor. I bought a new house about 18 months ago and the entire interior is Promar 200. It's not bad. Seen (and felt) worse. Getting one room at a time repainted; just did my home office in Farrow & Ball's Blue Ground (love it).

The kicker is there are four large, gorgeous columns in the formal front rooms. I love columns, they're my favorite architectural feature. So, the chucklehead builder decides to have them faux finished in a "marble" pattern. This is where the universe doled out a double dose of humor -- the new house I ended up buying has perfectly gorgeous columns completely effed-up with a bad marble faux finish using ProMar 200 "Eg-Shel" ta boot. Maybe it's that Law of Attraction thing - whatever you resist and give energy to, you attract into your reality whether you want it or not.

Pic is kind of dark, but here are my columns which someday will be sanded baby-butt smooth and painted a satin-y white. The sea of beige on the walls is ProMar 200 too. The niche is Ben Moore's Aura in the color Wenge.

Photobucket

o

Sherwin Williams website also has a good document to look at about its Promar 200 XP. This is billed as a paint that can go on bare drywall in ONE COAT. Of course, its more expensive, etc, but they point out how much you'll save in paint and labor. Don't think there's any way I could make it look right with one coat.

I think I'm convinced to go with the 200. I'm sure I'll be happy with it, since the 400 in the garage looks fine to me.
Neither my wife or I am too hard to please in this area.

o

200 is the only real option for your walls. 400 is, at best, an option for ceilings that just need a fresh coat before selling. 200 is a basic grade paint that fits most common uses - it covers in two coats (within reasonable color conversion parameters) and for most it is an acceptable look and feel. If you are looking for a high end finish the Promar line is not for you. Resiliance or Duration are high end options. In the Midwest Benjamin Moore is the most prevalent competitor. BM Super Spec is on par with 200, whikle BM Aura is the super premium paint.

Here is a link that might be useful: Your Painters - Naperville - Chicago - The World

o

My contractor mentioned to me yesterday that I could get my martha stewart paint colors matched at Sherwin williams with the primer already mixed in. Is this a good idea. I will be painting exterior and interior. I want the best. Or very close.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here