Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wondering if primer is needed...

Posted by mrspackrat800 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 2, 11 at 6:23

Our general contractor, in lieu of trimming our doors and windows in pre-finished white, used normal wood trim and had it painted with exterior grade satin white paint (and it's definately an exterior only grade paint not an interior/exterior).

It's a horrible shocking white and we need to repaint it. My question is, do I need to primer over it or would this type of paint act like primer and I can just paint normal latex wood paint over it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wondering if primer is needed...

You should be able to paint over it. I would give it a quick sand if it has been painted for a month or longer.

o

Thanks, I hope that our contractor will rectify his mistake. I never heard of painting interior trim with exterior paint. The white is so severe even our professional painter and our designer thought the wood was just primed. Sounds like we will have to sand it before painting it then because it's been over a month.

o

Use Exterior paint INSIDE is of no consequence at all.

YES...definitely scuff-sand with ~ 100-grit to thoroughly dull the surface.

Faron

o

Use Exterior paint INSIDE is of no consequence at all.

If you ignore the VOC's and mildewcide's

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here