Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there such a thing as self leveling drywall primer

Posted by obrionusa (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 4, 12 at 6:07

My next project is my kitchen followed by my bathroom. Both have had the wallpaper removed and repainted in the past. The walls arent very smooth and you can see a lot of brush strokes. I plan to spackle and sand the best I can. Is there a primer I can use to help hide the imperfections in the walls? I'm actually thinking of hitting it real quick with an orbital sander. What you think? What grit sandpaper if I do use a sander?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there such a thing as self leveling drywall primer

No such thing for VERTICAL surfaces!!

Unfortunately, skimming a cleaned/bumpy wall after priming with Gardz, or an Oil primer, is still the best/only/fastest way.

This DOES take practice, and I'd recommend it hired-out. An experienced person at this won't need to apply as much much mud...thereby minimizing final sanding. Done well, it WILL add $$$ to your home, so there is a payback!

You'd be so pooped-out, bought so much sandpaper, and created a decent mess...that you'd probably be $$$/time ahead hiring this out!!

Faron

o
RE: Is there such a thing as self leveling drywall primer

I was waiting until one of the pros on this forum answered. Speaking as an amateur, I would advise against using an orbital sander on your walls. You are likely to take the paper cover off and end up in worse shape than when you started.

Skim coating is the answer, and hiring someone to do it is your best bet. I watched a guy do it, asked a lot of questions and learned how to do it. But someone who can do it well will do it with far less sanding and dust.

If you are going to do this yourself, do some reading on skim coating. You want joint compound, not spackle. Spackle is for holes. And you want to sand by hand, not a machine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here