Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjd_z7a_nj

Need help! Cedar window trim not accepting stain

jjd_z7a_nj
11 years ago

We have been in our current house for about 2 years now and in that time our exterior rough cedar siding has begun to fade quite a bit. I bought a small tester can of a Behr solid color weather proofing wood stain product. I tested it in a few areas and it was accepted quite well, but I am having a problem with the trim (also cedar) around the widows accepting the new stain. It beads up and eventually drips off. The window trim is a few shades darker than the siding.

I found two cans left in the garage by the former owners. The first was Behr semi-transparent deck,fence,siding wood stain penetrating oil formula. This one is a lighter color so I would assume this is what was used on the main portion of siding. The second can is Behr deck plus solid color deck,fence,siding wood stain 100% acrylic latex, this is darker and I am assuming this is what is on the trim.

Any ideas why the window trim will not accept the new stain or what my options are to fix the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JD

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional