Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repaint CMU wall in garden

Posted by ElGrecus (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 2:31

We have a CMU (concrete masonry unit, or more commonly, cement block) wall surrounding our house in Los Angeles that was painted grey. We will be installing horizontal wood slats over vertical pressure treated 2x4 studs attached to the CMU with Simpson Titen stainless steel screws. The face of the wood slats with be narrow (about 2 inches) with a 1 inch gap between each slat. They will be stained ebony with either Penofin or Timber Pro semitransparent stain.

We'd like to paint the CMU darker so you don't see the grey behind the fence. The paint on the CMU has held up pretty well; no peeling or flaking. I've read about power washing, then sealing then primer then finish coats... that seems like a lot of effort for something that will be mostly concealed. What is the best (and efficient) way to repaint given that you won't see much of the CMU once the fence goes up? Thanks in advance for your help.

This post was edited by ElGrecus on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 2:45

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repaint CMU wall in garden

I had to google CMU to find out it was concrete block.

If I were doing it - and I am not an expert - I would power wash it, rinse, let it dry, and then use a roller to apply concrete paint. One coat should be enough if you are careful.

You can buy wide rollers and roller covers. I've seem them as wide as 18 inches.

o
RE: Repaint CMU wall in garden

CMU = Concrete masonry unit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here