Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stripping for very first time

Posted by lauriedeee (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 26, 12 at 2:31

Hi, I've decided to strip my oak dining room set and I'd like to stain it in a darker stain. The set is solid oak. It seems like there's only stain on it so I lightly sanded a portion of it, and whatever finish was on there came right off.

I've never stripped anything before so if anyone can tell me how to and what to buy to do it, I'd appreciate it very much.

I saw something called Citrus-strip or something like that in HD. Can I use that? It sounds a little less toxic and smelly than other strippers. Can I use that in the house with the windows open?

What color stain would be best to go over oak? I don't want oak again but I don't like the really dark colors like mahogany. Any suggestions? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated..

thanks Laurie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stripping for very first time

Stripping won't remove wood stain, but as you have found out, sanding will for your table. As for what to replace it with, you need to figure out how deep a color you want and how red or yellow or orange you want it to appear. Cherry is a medium tone and can range from light to dark, but you may not like the look of oak stained cherry because oak wood shows a lot of grain. Maybe red oak?

Here is a link that might be useful: Min-wax stains

o

All I have to do is sand? Heck.. if I'd have known that I would have done it years ago. I think I still might need to use some sort of stain remover product because the matching cabinet has decorative trims with tight areas and I don't think I could get sandpaper in there. Can you recommend one?

o

As far as I know, you can't remove the stain from wood. You can bleach wood, but I don't think that's what you want to do.

If you were able to sand off the finish color that easily, I wonder whether the wood is really stained or whether it has some type of colored polyurethane finish. You might get better info on the woodworking forum.

o

thanks for letting me know about the woodworking forum. I never thought to check there but I see there's a lot of threads there about refinishing wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here