Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_f

Repainting a Fiberglass Door

steve_f
17 years ago

My wife and I are in the process of getting ready to sell our home. One area that we both know needs to be 'fixed up' is the appearance of the front door. I believe it's a fiberglass door...the same door that was installed when I first bought the home brand new 14 years ago (a Pulte tract home).

The front door is really in need of a good paint job. Recently I had to have my garage door replaced and it's now a white garage door. The front door in question was originally painted a dark brown color. About 6 years ago my father re-stained it as it had started to fade due to sun exposure and the effect of the dry desert climate we live in.

Now I'd like to paint the door white so it matches the new garage door. My question is where do I start?

I've been reading up on painting fiberglass doors and everyone recommends something different. Some say to sand the door down and appply a primer. Others say to use strong chemical solvents to dissolve any previous primers and some say just to clean it with a detergent, let it dry and then to spray it with Rustoleum Exterior spray paint.

I'm a little confused and could use some guidance. The original paint/stain has started to peel off on some parts of the door and in other areas the color has faded. I'll also need to paint the door trim white to match the door.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comment (1)