Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseygirl07067

Painting oak cabinets something other than white/cream?

jerseygirl07067
12 years ago

We have medium toned builder grade oak cabinets in our kitchen, which have held up really well. However, I have always disliked the oak and would love to reface or replace with maple. I really dislike the grainy look of the oak, it's rather busy for the granite countertop too.

We are looking into the cost of refacing vs replacing, but are also considering painting as a less expensive option, since we'd really like to put our money into new flooring instead. I painted my bathroom cabinets about 5 years ago, from oak to white, and they came out awesome. I did my research and followed the steps precisely. You can't really see the grain either, which is good.

The only issue is, many of the oak cabinet repaint jobs I've seen have been white or the antique white glazed look. I do like that, but think a medium mocha maple tone would look better in our kitchen.

I don't want to paint green or blue, red, etc. Chocolate brown will be too dark as our kitchen does not have any natural light. I really want that maple glazed look. Is there a color I could paint it and then glaze it to get the look I want that doesn't scream bad home paint job? Any links to pictures would be helpful too.

Comments (5)