Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vertise

Suggestions on Aura Paint Application

Vertise
11 years ago

Hello,

Trying the Aura paint which I like but it dries too fast for me. I'm only in the bathroom now, so the walls are small and choppy. When I get into the larger rooms or ceilings I'm just not sure how to roll it out since this paint starts to dry and get tacky as soon as you roll it on. By the time I get to the other side of the room on the ceiling and back to start another section, it will be too long. I don't like when the texture gets tacky. It looks and feels a little rough.

Comments (11)

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

A product called Floetral has been recommended here several times. It extends the "open" time of the paint. I have never used Aura because I find the closest two Ben Moore outlets rather horrid in the customer service realm, but I know there are many big fans here. Perhaps they will respond.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint Talk discussion

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For some reason BM doesn't sell their own Aura extender. I might try it if I can find it.

Thanks.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

I do not understand why the BM store would not have their own extender but if you really need some( you should not) try and find XIM. It works better than floetrol(IMO)

Here is a link that might be useful: xim

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They carried Floetrol (which I read in a forum can be a problem) but not their own product. Crazy. They also don't carry their own elastomeric caulk for crown and trim. I had to drive 20 miles to another BM store to get it. I will call around.

He said they only carry it if it sells and people want other brands. He actually suggested adding water but I believe the can says not to and not to use anything but the Aura extender.

Another local place carries XIM products if I can't find the BM one.

The finish seems to be coming out alright but gets tacky right away. It can change the surface texture.

• PRO
    11 years ago

You really should not need any of that for painting walls

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Painting a wall with Aura is like painting your nails. Which is much different than painting like you're whitewashing a fence.

Starting at one side of your nail you apply one stroke of polish and keep moving forward -- never back brushing into applied coats. Because if you do, you mess it up. If you need to apply more polish, you wait til it dries.

It's the same method with Aura. Hit it as accurately as you can with the first stroke, don't back brush and if you need to tweak or correct anything wait til it's somewhat dry.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not concerned with misses it's leaving ridges of paint that dry that way.

• PRO
    11 years ago

Hire a real painter, problems solved.(:)

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I knew "you" were going to say that. Only for the stairwell. I will have to manage. Besides, I don't think I'm so inept that I can't learn to paint! lol

Maybe better glasses will help. I think being able to see better as I apply will help.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 12:26

• PRO
    11 years ago

Seeing well is always helpful

• Vertise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol. I miss my good eyes.