Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleepyjen

Paint stink, year later?

sleepyjen
10 years ago

Hello!

Last summer I renovated our home office. I took down 60 year old wallpaper, cleaned thoroughly, spackled with Drydex, primed with Kilz latex, and painted two coats of Sherwin Williams' low-voc HGTV paint in a dark gray/blue. I also painted a new pine desk using Benjamin Moore's Advance. The room's since had a little funk that we thought might be a result of being off the kitchen and getting all those odors, but now that it's warm and humid here in New England, it's got a really weird smell. It doesn't smell like paint; more like BO or something along those lines. I thought it might have been the rug, but I sprinkled baking soda all over that and vacuumed, and it smells fine. When I get closer to the walls, the funk smell seems strongest. Any ideas? I picked up an odor absorber today at the hardware store, but I'd really love to have some explanation. I suppose we could pull the desk out to see if it's the cause, but if it's not....short of painting BIN over the walls and repainting, I'm not sure what's next.

Thanks!
Jen