Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Hardi Plank siding before putting up??

Posted by dreamhome4all5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 29, 06 at 14:20

My husband insist we paint the siding, caulk each piece, then put on house. Is this necessary? Any siding pros out there that could shed some light... I would appreciate!!!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
paint

Could you all give me some suggestions on my dilemma.
We are turning a sunroom which has 20 foot wall of glass windows overlooking the garden into a home office,.
One wall is orangish brick color with black grout. It's actually the exterior of our victorian brick house. (1888)

I'm putting up glazed almond cabinets and have a reddish terracotta tile floor.

I have no idea what color to bring in on two walls. I'm thinking greenish?

When I go out and look I'm very confused.

Thanks!

o
RE: Painting Hardi Plank siding before putting up??

Posted by dreamhome4all5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 29, 06 at 14:20

My husband insist we paint the siding, caulk each piece, then put on house. Is this necessary? Any siding pros out there that could shed some light... I would appreciate!!!!!!!

Dreamhome,

I am also wondering about should I paint the Hardi before installation.
We are soon to start that phase on our new home and was wanting some advise.

Did you decide to paint or NOT to paint before the installation?
Also, what exterior colors did you choose?

At the moment we are undecided about what colors to use on the exterior.

o

Regarding the Hardiplank, your husband is right by doing what he is doing. You can paint before installation or after, but obviously before would provide better coverage with minimal touch-ups at the end. Hardi sidings came out with pre-painted siding with limited colors and avail. It is concrete, so it should be primed(I believe Hardi reccomends)or minimally a high quality exterior paint.
As far as courtreporter, it sounds as though you may want to contact an interior designer, or minmally go into a home center, grab up paint swatches that match your exsisting colors and then decide. Many home centers have paint computers available to homeowners to help decide on corresponding color matches.

o

We just installed our hardi plank and it was already primed. We chose to paint after installation. That's the way we did the garage and it worked out fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here