Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamhome4all5

Painting Hardi Plank siding before putting up??

dreamhome4all5
17 years ago

My husband insist we paint the siding, caulk each piece, then put on house. Is this necessary? Any siding pros out there that could shed some light... I would appreciate!!!!!!!

Comments (4)

• courtreporter
    17 years ago

Could you all give me some suggestions on my dilemma.
    We are turning a sunroom which has 20 foot wall of glass windows overlooking the garden into a home office,.
    One wall is orangish brick color with black grout. It's actually the exterior of our victorian brick house. (1888)

I'm putting up glazed almond cabinets and have a reddish terracotta tile floor.

I have no idea what color to bring in on two walls. I'm thinking greenish?

When I go out and look I'm very confused.

Thanks!

• pioneergal
    17 years ago

Posted by dreamhome4all5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 29, 06 at 14:20

My husband insist we paint the siding, caulk each piece, then put on house. Is this necessary? Any siding pros out there that could shed some light... I would appreciate!!!!!!!

Dreamhome,

I am also wondering about should I paint the Hardi before installation.
    We are soon to start that phase on our new home and was wanting some advise.

Did you decide to paint or NOT to paint before the installation?
    Also, what exterior colors did you choose?

At the moment we are undecided about what colors to use on the exterior.

• icidave
    17 years ago

Regarding the Hardiplank, your husband is right by doing what he is doing. You can paint before installation or after, but obviously before would provide better coverage with minimal touch-ups at the end. Hardi sidings came out with pre-painted siding with limited colors and avail. It is concrete, so it should be primed(I believe Hardi reccomends)or minimally a high quality exterior paint.
    As far as courtreporter, it sounds as though you may want to contact an interior designer, or minmally go into a home center, grab up paint swatches that match your exsisting colors and then decide. Many home centers have paint computers available to homeowners to help decide on corresponding color matches.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

We just installed our hardi plank and it was already primed. We chose to paint after installation. That's the way we did the garage and it worked out fine.