Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbriggs1

Valspar Paints formula change-not good

tbriggs1
10 years ago

I'm a prior user/recommender of Valspar paints (e.g. Valspar Ultra Premium Interior) before introduction of the paint + primer and low VOC lines. Recently I purchased a gallon of their Ultra Interior Paint + Primer. I did not want the Primer mix but was told at Lowes that this line was the replacement for what I had been using. So I began cutting in the room with it. Thick like tapioca and when cleaning the brush afterwards, it was nearly impossible (in fact some of the nylon/polyester bristles broke when trying to remove the lodged in paint) and ruined my good Painters Collection 1.5" angle sash brush. Had the same problem with Behr interior paints once (I believe they were the first to introduce paint + primer-smaller molecule size on primer portion).

I immediately returned the gallon to Lowes for replacement with paint without the included primer. In order to exactly match color, went with Valspar 2000 (contractor series) type. Big mistake again. Thick as before, but now with the slight smell of ammonia (anti-fungal maybe??, Ok). Started brushing it on and the first thing I noticed is that it can only be minimally brushed out before beginning to show brush marks. Seemed to level out OK but also seemed to get tacky faster (may be a temp/humidity related). However, the brush cleaned as easily with water/soap as the Valspar's of the past (Ultra Premium Interior lines)-Yeah. Next day opened the can to begin rolling, and noticed the paint had already begun to separate with about a 1/8-1/4" of clear fluid on top of the pigmented portion. This is bizarre, as I've never seen paint separate after complete mixing in such a short time span (less than 24 hours). When rolling, it exhibited similar characteristics (unable to roll out very much). It required every trick in the book I'm aware of to 1 coat it over a properly prepared surface (.90 gallon over 324 square feet). Even then, I'll have to do some minimum touch-up.

In summation, I can no longer recommend Valspar interior paints (Signature Line-did not try) any longer due to clean-up (Valspar Ultra Premium Interior) and application/separation (Valspar 2000) issues after using/recommending their line for so long. I'd rather have a paint with a smell as it's drying and with no primer included that works well. Valspar's change in formulation to meet perceived consumer demand and competition has now yielded a paint of poor quality. Remember what happened when Coke changed their formula? Painting is arduous at best, and it makes a huge difference when you use good quality products (brushes, rollers, paints, and surface prep.) towards making it less arduous than it is. I can't believe that others haven't complained about their new line of products and how poorly they work now. Look at the can labeling; in somewhat good size print on the front of the label they call the base paint "Semi-mate/Interior". Hey mates, it's Semi-matte. I question the quality of products when a company can't even be bothered to proof read or use spell-check on their labels (made in China?).

Time to try Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore. I'll gladly take the smell of drying paint (I like it) and no primer mixes any day for better quality.

Regards,

Tom Briggs

PS Valspar 2000 paint has dried now for several days, and I notice it has chalky feel to it and where you touch it, it becomes hazy.

{{gwi:1997912}}

This post was edited by tbriggs on Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 11:44

Comments (10)

• suel41452
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, I bought a gallon of the Valspar Ultra paint and primer and painted my bathroom closet & room doors & trim. The paint is super-thick and is hard to get a smooth finish. But my biggest complaint is that it has not dried after several months!! The closet shelves make a "sticky" noise when I lift a box up off the shelves. The door makes the same "sticky" sound every time the door stop touches it. After months!!! I want my money back!!

• masswineguy
    9 years ago

What a drag. I've twice used Valspar exterior paint on my home's wood clapboards with great success. Both times were with the previous no primer included paint. I always found the paint to be thick, but had no trouble cleaning brushes. You could try adding some Floetrol to thin it slightly and prevent brush marks.

I always prime separately with a good primer before applying the top coat. I don't care if the can says primer is already in the paint. This seems like marketing hype. I'll bet if you asked many pros, few would say they worked differently.

• suel41452
    9 years ago

After 4 months & paint's still tacky, I decided to attempt to get a refund. I read the fine print on the can, and if you are not completely satisfied, they said they will give a full refund. The lady at the service desk listened to the cellphone video I took demonstrating the sticky sounds, and agreed to give me a full refund. Yea!!!! I still have to repaint, but happy to get a full refund.

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago
    I was really disappointed with the new Valspar 'Ultra Premium' paint. For the past 15 years I've used Valspar with great success. The paint manager at Lowes swore up and down that this is a great paint - just like the 'old' Valspar.

First for $40 a gallon it better be good. However this paint was about as thick as ranch dressing / thin pudding. It rollers on OK, but my brush is ruined. The brush that I used to cut in - the paint hardened on it. After about an hour of painting I could not get the paint out of the brush. Also, it's real easy to leave brush marks.

If anyone tells you about a paint and primer in one - run away.
  • PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

and there you have it ^^^, thanks Faron

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

Now my question is: What paints (brands / type) do painting contractors use?

I can't believe contractors would use products like these - they would go broke.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

I now use PPG, formally used Ben Moore, but they moved out of town. Sherwin Williams is OK if you can deal with the pricing, I could ( can) not.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

GB-
    It doesn't really matter! ALL brands have had to go thru a "remodeling" of sorts...of their resins, additives, & colorants. GOOD painters/homeowners just have to adapt. Cars change every year.
    Nature-of-the-beast ya know....

Faron

• practigal
    8 years ago

The paint that I purchased at Osh was splitting in the can, you could not stir it fast enough even though they had mixed it on their shaker less than a half hour before....all the dark additives sank to the bottom....

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County