Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parias1126

Need a good color to go with my open floor plan

parias1126
11 years ago

I have an L-shaped open floor plan (top of the L is the family room, then the eat- in kitchen area, the corner of the L is the kitchen. Then we have the Formal dining area and formal living room. I'm beginning to get extremely frustrated with this open floor plan. I wish I could just add color to all the rooms and it would look wonderful. I had a color called Tawny that I used about 8 years ago which was the main color, terracotta in the kitchen, and gold in the formal dining area with a dark chocolate brown in the tray ceiling. It looked beautiful. I matched it all with burgandy drapes which also looked nice.

I just got done painting the family room, eat-in kitchen and kitchen area. The main space (family room and eat-in kitchen is Camelback by SW. The Kitchen is Laura Ashely Olive 4. I am stumped on the formal dining area, ceiling and living area. My furniture is all a bronze/tan color with hints of golds, greens, and reds. It's all very traditional looking and warm. My carpet is also a medium tan. I went to SW today and got the swatch the Camelback is on thinking I could just go a bit darker in the formal dining area and keep the formal living in Camelback like the rest of the main areas. I just put some Baguette on the wall in the formal dining area with a sample and I don't see a huge difference because the lighting is so different in that part of the "L". Does anyone have any suggestions of a great formal dining area color that would mix well with the Camelback? I'm very unsure about Baguette and Cardboard (which I also tried and it reminds me of milk chocolate!).

If you used Camelback, what did you mix it with? Keep in mind I have Camelback and Olive 4 in the same area and they meet at intersecting walls. They look wonderful together. The formal dining area is on the opposite wall of the kitchen where I have the Olive 4, but there is a pass-thru window so it can be seen. I would love suggestions!

I also didn't score very well with my drapery choice. Not sure what color to go with that either.

Comments (3)