Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plow_in

Do I save old slipcovers?

Plow_In
17 years ago

I took my summer slipcovers off and they've been sitting on the laundry room floor for 2 weeks now while I decide whether to save them or not. I won't use them again - they've got too many worn spots and holes. I've asked two upholsterers if they would find it valuable to be able to copy them when making new ones, and they both said yes. However, storing them would not be too easy (I'm trying to declutter), and of course neither said anything about a great discount on new ones, just for the privilege of using them as patterns. The other thing is that I would have to wash them. Does anyone besides my husband think I should save them? I'm inclined not to.

Comments (6)

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

Here's when I would save them. When it means the upholsterer wouldn't have to make a trip out for sizing of the furniture. Thus, saving you the hassle of dealing with them. Since it would definately save them time (and time is money) you may end up with some off the price at the end. Since they could be used for a pattern, I think it would help ensure a better fit for the finished product.

It sounds like you haven't made a definate decision as to who to use for the new slipcover job. If you enter into a contract, you may find their response to be a bit more forthcoming as far as a price reduction. I don't see why they would need to be cleaned if they are just going to end up thrown away, but I would probably do that anyway.

Gloria

• talley_sue_nyc
    17 years ago

would you ever dig them out to protect your furniture when little kids are visiting for cookie-making time? Do you have an attic they could stash in?

a most important: would you actually have new slipcovers made? if yes, then save them, but make plans to get the new slipcovers made as soon after Jan. 6 as possible. It would be more rewarding to be saving NEW summer slipcovers than to store old ones. They'll take up the same space.

(in fact, if you will have new seasonal slipcovers, you're not actually ADDING something to store; you're *reserving* the space for the new set. )

• Plow_In
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for your thoughts. I haven't decided who to go to for the slipcovers, but you're probably right that I should save them (or at least part of them). I have a plastic tub in the basement that would hold them til spring. And actually, I plan to get the pieces upholstered first. Don't know if that would make a difference as to whether or not I saved the old pieces.

• mary_c_gw
    17 years ago

An upholsterer would absolutely not use any part of an old slipcover for a pattern. Pieces of fabric for upholstering a piece of furniture are different that those used for a slipcover. They have to be pulled into the frame and stapled or tacked. It's a vastly different procedure than slipcovering.

A seamstress or upholsterer making a new slipcover would pin and fit the new one to the furniture piece.

An old slipcover (especially if fitted and with zippers) will have stretched out to the point of uselessness as a pattern. When I make a slipcover, it's fitted to the point of almost being mistaken for a new upholstery job. I spend time in your home marking, cutting, and fitting the new fabric (or at least the lining, if you want the cover lined).

If you just have a loose, floppy slipcover - well, they're available on line. If it's a custom, fitted slipcover, saving the old will not help.

If you're going to reupholster, perhap you can get a custom-fitted slipcover at the same time. Be aware - both re-upholstery and custom slipcovering can cost more than a new piece of furniture. Make sure the piece is worth the investment.

Mary

• spiritual_gardner
    17 years ago

If you are taking two weeks to decide, you don't need them.

Toss em.

SG

• Plow_In
    Original Author
    17 years ago

SG and Mary:
    You're both right. When DH isn't looking, I'm going down to the cellar and toss them out. Thanks, everybody.