Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green_eyes32

what size totes??

green_eyes
18 years ago

Okay people, it is time to organize the Christmas gear before putting it away. I am going with the plastic tote solution. Originally I wanted the red and green totes for Christmas but when I went to the store the saleslady suggested I get some others that were bigger and going on sale tomorrow. So here's the choice: red and green 70 litre for 7.97 (regular price) store brand

OR

gray and black 105 litre / hinged lid/ 9.97 (sale) Rubbermaid brand

My storage space is an under the stairs closet which I have to crouch to get in the back. I'm a little concerned about getting bigger ones in and out. Right now I have large boxes that I take stuff in and out of (and leave the boxes there).

What do you suggest?

Comments (13)

• marie26
    18 years ago

I'm glad you brought up plastic totes because I have a question regarding them. I noticed that there are little holes on their sides under the rim. When storing photos or papers in them in the garage, I have been putting tape over these holes because I'm afraid of little bugs getting into them. I don't know if I should be doing this or if there is a reason for the holes. Anyone know why the holes are there?

K-Mart will be having the 49 gallon on sale starting this Sunday for $13.00. It has wheels on one side to help move it. Perhaps this one will work for you because of the wheels.

• intherain
    18 years ago

I use the Sterilite 66 gallon clear totes for all of our Christmas stuff. They are the perfect size and they stack nicely. I made a list of the contents and stuck it inside each tote, facing out, so I can read it from the outside. I have a tote each for the dining room, the living room, the foyer and staircase, living room, family room, party goods, porch decorations and outdoor lights. I love that they are all in the same type of tote!

Sheryl

• intherain
    18 years ago

I should add that no matter what size you choose (because truly it depends on the size of where you're storing your Christmas stuff), make sure they are all the same and can stack nicely.

Sheryl

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

Measure your space carefully, then measure the totes you're considering (remember to calculate for the lid--some are domed).

I chose my totes based on what would fit WAY back under the lower steps, then what would stack under the taller parts of the stairs. Some go in the storage room lenghwise, then some are turned width-wise to make use of all the available space left to right. If that makes sense, LOL.

• runninginplace
    18 years ago

I use red/green totes for holiday supplies in part to color code the holiday items. It does make it easier to haul things out from a storage area if you know to look only for those colors at least for us, since we store other non-holiday things in the same general area. I also second the tip to either measure or eyeball your storage area carefully. We have a loft in our garage, so there is a slope since it's directly under the roofline. I have a few smaller boxes that fit on either side, then the larger sizes go in the middle.

I also think it is a good idea to factor in how heavy/bulky the box will be once filled. Don't know your situation WRT having someone else haul them in and out, but I don't like boxes so large that when filled they are impossible for me to move them. My husband/son always help but I don't like being dependent on them if I want something taken down or moved around once down. Not to mention nobody wants to hurt him/herself hauling heavy bins!

Like Sheryl, I carefully label my containers. I use an Avery online program I downloaded that preformats for any size labels. I pack my boxes then create a label each year for what is in the box. I make 3 identical labels for each box-one for the top of the box and one on each end. That way it is easy to see what is there in the loft or once it is out.

This year I think I will be a bit more organized too in how I put the bins back in the loft. I want to put the boxes of lights and ornaments and tree skirt out so I can get them first. This year I felt a bit overwhelmed when husband took everything down at once and I ended up with red/green tote boxes all over for awhile :). It would be easier on me I think if I just pull down the tree trim stuff, then once that is finished take down the house trim boxes, then last haul out the ribbon/wrap/gift box totes to start wrapping.

• susan_on
    18 years ago

I have the same kind of storage space where you have to crouch. I'm going to get some of those organizers on wheels so I just have to pull them out. They are really light.

• maddiemom6
    18 years ago

I tend to go for the smaller size so that I can lift them from a squat... I am strong but my back is wonky.

I leave the air holes uncoverd so that any moisture in the box will not ruin the things in the box.

Maddiemom

• marie26
    18 years ago

Maddiemom, should I take the tape off of the holes? Now I'm worried about moisture. But I'm also worried about tiny bugs getting in since they are in the garage and I don't want them in the house.

I am really stuck on the solution, to cover the holes or leave them as is.

• green_eyes
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I decided to go with red and green 70 litre to start. Got 4 of them. Can always add. Now I just have to do it. At supper tonight DH, DD, DS and I were discussing 2005 and setting some goals for 2006. I said to get through the whole house decluttering and DH said "that was last year's goal"! I think he knew by THE LOOK to stop right there! LOL He said " you got started on the basement, that was good". My other goal is to run 10K in May-I will enjoy that one more!!!

• mustangs81
    18 years ago

I have opted for medium sized ones that are stackable so they are easier to handle. Plus, I store them by project (mantel decorations, dining room decorations, tree balls, tree lights. etc) that way I can deal with one project at a time and put the tote away before moving on to the next decorating project.

• mvastian
    18 years ago

Marie,

you could cover the holes with some gauze (the same we have in a first aid kit) and perhaps add silica gel baggies in the box.

Maria

• holly_bc
    18 years ago

Excellent idea Maria! I had thot of silica bags (though don't know where to get them) but hadn't thot of the gauze. That should work perfectly. Like Marie26, and although our storage area seems pretty bug free, I'd rather not take the chance.

Thanks for a great idea. :-))

As to Xmas Storage - I also use Red & Green tubs both small and large, plus clear ones with greens lids, some with wheels as well. Much I've just gotten this year and will probably need to add next year but I've made a start.

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

bigger is not always better--I have medium-large ones (not sure how to indicate the size, but I thnk it's roughly the same size as the 66-quart ones mentioned already).

They're a nice size--I can get them down from overhead; they hold plenty, but not too much.

I like the green-and-red aspect, and would pay more for them. Mostly bcs I'd have to label EVERY SIDE of the containers, bcs my DH will NOT pay any %*($^*(*&%(&(* attention to *where* the label is.