Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neonrain

Getting rid of file cabinet, where or how do I store small files?

neonrain
15 years ago

I have a small metal 2 drawer filing cabinet. Changing the room to look like a study and not a home office. 1st drawer has no more than 13 files. Bottom has incoming bills, paid bills which could easily go elsewhere. I want to toss the metal cabinet, but haven't found my ideal solution! I tend to favor vintage solid wood furniture, night stands, etc. Was hoping to find a funky solid wood night stand with a deep drawer, but have yet to locate one. Any ideas? I can't wait to get rid of it!

Comments (18)

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

My files are in an ottoman that has a flip-up top.

• pammyfay
    15 years ago

Care for this? Nice furniture look... Although it has two deep drawers, you could certainly "retrofit" the top one with 2 not-so-deep stacking baskets for other stuff, like the incoming bills and related things.

Here is a link that might be useful: home decorators file cabinet

• pammyfay
    15 years ago

Or what about this piece of painted furniture, from the "O" place?

Here is a link that might be useful: (that place we're not supposed to mention)

• neonrain
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am only looking to spend $15 max from a good will shop. The O place is fabulous, but the price is too steep. I can go to Hawaii for that amount of money. We are headed for a Depression. One out of every 5 persons is unemployed and I am one of them, so if I can't make something work from a good will shop (which will take patience because I check daily), then I may have to post pone it. Even Pier One is too expensive, yet less than the "O" store. Thanks for your suggestions, I do appreciate them.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

Well, then, go to Goodwill!
    Happy hunting.

• donnawb
    15 years ago

If you have a Home Goods store they have wicker baskets with lids that fit files for $15 or $20 and you can put it anywhere.

• pammyfay
    15 years ago

Would've been good to know the limitations.
    Soooo... What's your closet space like? I would hide that filing cabinet in a nearby closet. Or not-so-nearby, esp if you don't need to access those files in the first batch all that often. And you can store other stuff in the other filing cabinet drawer. At least you won't have to look at it while you look for the right piece for the room!

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    15 years ago

We are headed for a Depression.
    Paint and fabric can work wonders!

-Lena

• neonrain
    Original Author
    15 years ago

DD50: That sounds ideal, but we don't have a Home Goods store in the small ocean side town that I live in. Unfortunately we have already lost 4 businesses in this small town, and a furniture store bearing a sign, asking for a bail-out, believe it or not!

We DO have an antique store that is closing and right now it is 40% off. The woman wants out, and I did find two pieces of furniture that would work for my situation, but her prices are still too high. I will check again with her in a week to see if I can get her to drop lower.

I have tried Freecycle and Craigslist and am active with both, and the file cabinet is a bit rusty that I don't think anyone would want it.

Lena: You are most certainly correct. My words exactly!! We are headed for Depression.

Closet space is ample, 'busy' but not crowded, but not an option for the file cabinet as I already have a small chest in there holding extra linens, one box of photo albums, etc.

• cindiw2
    15 years ago

Hi. Here's what I do (did). I got rid of my filing cabinet and picked up a cube type thing from craigslist real cheap. It's cute, cost me about $35 for 4 cubes + a coffee table with lots of storage. I stored my papers in one of the cubes which had a door on it. Then I decided to splurge on a real, actual coffee table set. That was a bit more expensive ($55) but what I'm doing with my papers is transferring them to a basket and putting that under one of the new-er tables. By the way, I love my tables now (they're granite top) and am quite pleased with the basket thing. I re-sold some of the cubes on craigslist and am attempting to sell the others.

• mamarazzi
    15 years ago

"Lena: You are most certainly correct. My words exactly!! We are headed for Depression."

I think she was quoting you...lol. ;)

I am a lurker here but wanted to share this idea. I would see if I could pick up a piece of round wood and a skirt for a table and slap it right on top of the filing cabinet. Aren't they about 28" high? You can still maintain your file cabinet with the look that you want.

• maddielee
    15 years ago

Do you need a lamp table in your new study?

Cut a round tabletop (that will completely cover the file cabinet) from a piece of 3/4 inch plywood, and make a round, floor length table cloth to go over it. The heavier the fabric the more 'designer' it will look. I used an old quilted bedspread for my 'fabric' one time.

• mamarazzi
    15 years ago

"Cut a round tabletop (that will completely cover the file cabinet) from a piece of 3/4 inch plywood, and make a round, floor length table cloth to go over it. The heavier the fabric the more 'designer' it will look. I used an old quilted bedspread for my 'fabric' one time."

Yes, this is what I was trying to describe.

• ohgoodness
    15 years ago

I moved all of my filing cabinet files to a 3 ring binders. Works very good for some types of stuff (home appliance manuals)...a little less well for the day to day type stuff (monthly bills) but mainly because I think I try to jam that one too full.

• ronbre
    15 years ago

file boxes, wicker file boxes, other boxes, file ottomons, benches with storage..fake books..you name it

• bbstx
    15 years ago

I did the round top with a long skirt. A designer friend told me to do that. I measured the file cabinet top diagonally from corner to corner to get the diameter of the wooden round. Mom had some good looking cotton fabric that would work for a skirt/cloth. I bought extra large cording and hemmed it into the bottom (woman at the fabric store suggested it. Saved me from having to make cording but still had the same look). Put an old baby blanket over the wood to give the edges a softened look under the skirt. Easy peasy.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I use those plastic file boxes that have the removable lids that has a handle for easy carrying. I retrieved mine out of the Katrina debris people were throwing out because their insurance company was going to buy them all new stuff. I found lots of real treasures thanks to others being wasteful. You can buy these boxes for around $5 at Wal Mart. They are clear plastic on bottom with a solid color snap on lid. Their depth is 6" and hold standard hanging file folders,.