Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neonrain

Help! Need to find way to store totes, handbags

neonrain
15 years ago

I am trying to organize my closet. I have a few large tote bags (19" wide approx, to give you an idea). I alternate and use them to carry necessities to work with me, along with my regular handbag, besides that, my lunch bag fits into the tote, eliminating, yet one more bag to carry !

How do I store them in the closet so they stand up instead of flop over. I have tried hanging them on a hanger, but that takes up quite a bit of space. How do we bag ladies stay organized?

Comments (18)

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

How about an over the door purse rack?

Here is a link that might be useful: purse rack

• cindiw2
    15 years ago

I have found that hooks on the sides or walls of the closet helps hang them.

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

to make them stand up, I use bunches of plastic bags, and tissue, and stuff them, it helps them retain their shape and not develop pleats.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I use coat hooks for the biggies. Install them low, not at the same height you would use for hanging a coat.

The smaller ones go standing up into a bin I can pull out from the shelf.

• nancyjeanmc
    15 years ago

LaxSuperMom...I love that link. Thanks. And not just because I'm another LaxSuperMom, myself. Well, maybe just a LaxMom... ;)

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    15 years ago

We have one of those odd under stair closets that goes back in a ways--so there's a lot of unused wall, but not room enough for a shelf, but I put hooks there and placed the totes randomly.

If you have some hanging room, you could hang them in tandem vertically using one of those hanger-adapter thingies that lets you drop down for a few notches--so you use less rod space.

• nancyjeanmc
    15 years ago

I've been tempted to buy those for my closet, Frankie. Now I think I will.

• timberframe4us
    15 years ago

I have a set of pegs down low that were originally installed for my toddler (who's taller than me now). I use those for bags. I think that's the same thing basically as what dilly dally is saying.

• maryliz
    15 years ago

I recently saw a photo in a mag. The tote bags were hung on the clothes rod with the type of rings used to hang shower curtains. These were the old-fashioned wire type, which are large and pear-shaped. Put the tote handles through the narrow part of the pear, then clip to the clothes rod.

• shanghaimom
    15 years ago

I have dozens of bags, all sizes! I am always looking for a better way to store them, which is why I am checking this thread. The best thing i have come up with so far, short of a custom closet, is steel "S" hooks from the hardware store. They are super cheap and PERFECT for hanging bags from regular rods or also from those white wire shelves. You can put 4 or 5 evening bags/clutches on one hook, and one or two larger bags, depending on how big the bag is. I have found that hangers are the WORST option, and any sort of "stand-up" system leaves them smushed and crushed. ( I switch bags regularly, and don't want to go to the trouble of filling them with something puffy....)

• maryliz
    15 years ago

I have been searching for a belt hanger. I think a large "S" hook will work just fine. Hope I can find one at a hardware store. I have seen them used to hang pans in a kitchen. Thanks for the idea, Shanghaimom!

• missindia2020
    15 years ago

I use the unused space in the closet. I bought the largest cup hooks made and place them over the door frames INSIDE the closet (say you're standing in it, turn around to face out and look up.) I also use the sides going down the wall facing the same way. That space is never used. Over the top, I hand short-handled purses and down the sides the long-strap ones. Tote bags I hang from hooks in my laundry closet (it's not a room!). This will work in any closet for the mere price of $2 for the large hooks. (1 inch)

• Maura63
    15 years ago

I am currently using the "hanger" method, but am also looking for alternatives.

The previous owner of my home had two accordion-style peg hooks hanging in the laundry room, with all of her bags hanging on them. (Since our litter box is in this room, I barely leave clean clothes lingering for too long, so not an option for me.)

I do have a wooden freestanding coat rack in my basement (courtesy of Freecycle) that holds various tote bags and duffel bags.

Bottom line is, I have too many bags (even though I've purged). Not because I love them; I have just yet to find that "perfect" one, and it seems it is my life's mission (LOL).

Here is a link that might be useful: accordian-style peg hooks

• talley_sue_nyc
    15 years ago

For shopping bags, I got a bag that I designated as the "bag of bags," and I put all the other bags in there. And then lean it on the wall. (but I can put mine on the floor)

You could borrow that idea and get a tote or strong shopping bag that you designate as the outer bag (I vote for the Lands End kind, w/ the flat bottoms, and then if you did need one that size, you could "borrow" the outer bag for a short bit).

• lydia_csl_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hi,

My bags are all over the place, those rarely used are under the bed storage and some on the floor, some in shelves (inside storage box) and the problem I am facing is, its not visible and I always forgot what bag I had. When doing clean up then realised that "I could have used this bag for this dinner or work".

Is there any ways to store then in a feasible and visible way but not obstructing human taffic?

• aliris19
    13 years ago

I love Miss India's idea of using that space on the "reverse door frame", as it were. Lydia - would that work? I think you could see everything arrayed that way. Might need to install a light in the closet!

• rjvt
    13 years ago

A while ago I saw this in a Bed Bath & Beyond circular. There are a few different types of clear plastic hanging units. Type in handbag storage and there are a few different solutions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanging handbag storage units

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner