Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mi_z5

The January Rule

Julie_MI_Z5
18 years ago

Announcement:

The January Rule will be in effect at my house starting January 1, 2006.

Nothing new will be brought into this house except groceries and other non-negotiable essentials.

P.S. Good thing I bought new perfume today, LOL.

Comments (34)

• des_arc_ya_ya
    18 years ago

If I go by this rule, can I bring home USED stuff, or can I "negotiate" that rule!? LOL

Good luck - it's a good rule to abide by, I know.

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You can negotiate... but that means 3 used things leave for every 1 used thing that comes in.

January is the dead of winter here, and not a good shopping time for me, so it works out OK. LOL!

• stephanie_in_ga
    18 years ago

I can't follow that rule. I'm counting on the furniture sales to find a new dining room table this coming week. If I find it Saturday, maybe, but still, delivery would be after the 1st. But after that, it's good rule.

• bianchi2
    18 years ago

But the sales are sooog good! (whine, whine)
    I do like your January rules, I will try.
    Bianchi

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bianchi,
    Just because it's on sale doesn't mean you NEED it. LOL January is always a good month for me to get ahead since anything going out isn't replaced by something else.

Stephanie,
    You might slide by on the "bought in December, delivered in January" loophole. ROFL

• bianchi2
    18 years ago

I am going to stay out of the stores and go skiing! One fun way of keeping "stuff" out.
    Bianchi

• runninginplace
    18 years ago

Julie, I really like the January rule. I am going to try to follow it myself. Thinking of telling husband to hide the credit card for awhile, just so I'll have to make some effort to waste money :\.

Ann

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Ann. I like the idea of having one month to get ahead on de-junking without new stuff replacing the old!

• maddiemom6
    18 years ago

ACK!... I am going to Ikea tomorrow.... geesh this is going to put a crimp in things :)

maddiemom, mumbling to self about pre dating the checks

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maddiemom,

Ikea tomorrow = still in December. LOL

• bianchi2
    18 years ago

Well, I didnt go skiing, of course, that was just a pipe dream. But I did get the stained glass for the top of the vanity. And you're right, its still Dec., so I am o.k. Now I'm working on a pattern.
    Have a nice New Year, everyone.
    Bianchi

• intherain
    18 years ago

I like this rule, but mostly because DH and I decided we are going to decrease our spending in January to make up for all we bought in December! Plus, I'm burned out with shopping at this point. I welcome a break!

Sheryl

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

When I stocked up for winter, I miscalculated toothpaste. On my way home from work yesterday, I stopped to buy some. Toothpaste is a non-negotiable essential, so fit the January Rule.

CVS had given me a coupon for $3 off a $10 or more purchase of toothpaste. No big deal as I figured I would just buy a few tubes and we'd be stocked until spring.

Well... Colgate Total was $2.99, and buy one get one free. So I had to get 4 tubes to go over $10 to get $3 off, which meant 8 tubes!!! LOL The good news is 8 tubes of toothpaste for $9.50 was a great deal... and we're now well-stocked for a while.

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Update:
    Halfway through the month and I'm starting to feel that I've worked *so* hard dejunking the house that I deserve to buy something nice! LOL

My resolve is wavering....

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Close call yesterday! It's a long story, but I'm having a surprise baby shower for a friend on Feb. 7th. I stopped on my way home to buy invitations (I was considering that an "essential" item, plus the invite would all leave the house today). When I found out it was going to cost $18 for invitations, I cancelled that idea! LOL

I came home instead, used a Hallmark card program to print out nicer ones (AND didn't have to hand-write the insides!) and used up most of a box of right-size envelopes that have been sitting in a drawer for years. Bye-bye envelopes!

I did good!

• mvastian
    18 years ago

Woohoo Julie!! That must feel great! Saving money and freeing up space without "wasting" anything and that also being the nicer choice!

Maria

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

stay tough--only 1 more week!

Congrats on the narrow escape.

Isn't it funny how expnensive stationery can be? And greeting cards? I don't buy them anymore--wowee!

• rjvt
    18 years ago

YAY! It's so rewarding to not only hold yourself back from buying something, but to also find something to use up (from one of those "invisible" piles, no doubt) at home.

• intherain
    18 years ago

Julie - you DID do good. GREAT JOB! You have really inspired me this month - I have hardly purchased anything, and when I did, I thought LONG AND HARD. I, too, think I've done good. Yeah for us!!!!

Sheryl

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's been really helpful for me to know that everything that left the house this month is a "plus" and has not been replaced by something else! LOL

The only non-grocery exceptions were toothpaste (an essential!) and a dress shirt for my husband for the banquet tonight (he got rid of 2 dress shirts that were too big--so that's a bonus!).

But I'll be the first to admit I've missed going to all the January clearance sales....

Julie

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

I wondered how this was going. With 6 of us in the house, there is such a constant rotation of stuff.

I am helping a friend do serious decluttering. We are working 4 mornings a week. Today she bagged up winter clothing. Now, I have this "thing" about wool fabric. Love to try and make rugs. Hate to let it go.

Very proud of myself that I took those bags directly to the thrift store and did not pull out any of those wool clothes for my "projects." I've got enough wool now to carpet the living room if I ever finished the rug.

It was soooo tempting.

Gloria

• intherain
    18 years ago

Julie - you know, this is one of the first years that I haven't been tempted with January clearance sales. What's really amazing is that I work P/T in a women's clothing store, where I get an additional 40% off, and I still haven't bought anything!

So....what will be The February Rule???

Sheryl

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gloria--good job passing up the wool when you know you already have plenty.

Sheryl--the February Rule is TIME TO SHOP? I should give that some thought. LOL

• intherain
    18 years ago

Did someone say SHOP? Well, okay, I'm off to buy some jeans this weekend. Woo hoo!

LOL Julie!

Sheryl

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sheryl,

Hold off on those jeans! February doesn't officially start until Wednesday!!! LOL

Julie

• intherain
    18 years ago

Oh, darn! I was thinking about going shopping tomorrow!

Sheryl

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HAPPY FEBRUARY!

If you need me tonight, I'll be shopping at Target. LOL I've had a $50 gift card burning a hole in my pocket since Christmas. I hear my favorite trash bags calling my name... they weren't an "essential" since I still had a supply of the yucky ones.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    18 years ago

Well, I tell ya what, all kidding aside - as I've been decluttering, etc. it sure makes me more aware of something when I think about buying it! "Do I really need this? If so, where will it be stored? Is there room for it there? What will have to be gotten rid or of moved in order to make room for it?" I tell ya, it gives ya cause for thought. It's sure saved me money AND purchases lately.

• intherain
    18 years ago

Julie - have you returned from your shopping spree yet???? LOL I have to say, I'm still doing good! I did buy a pair of pants last week, but they were such a good deal....really, they were!

Movin' onto February...

Sheryl

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The shopping spree was cancelled. I have such a bad cold that I stopped after work only to buy more kleenex and the favors for the baby shower next Tuesday.

Maybe by Saturday I'll feel better?

• nellie2
    18 years ago

I liked the idea of the no shopping in January rule. However, it is now February LOL I have to bring in items because I am an auction freak. However I buy box-lots at country auctions. What buys! Often there are boxes of cards for practically no-money. Much savings on blankets, bedding etc.practically new.Then thread, sewing items, all kitchen items for a song. I buy toothpase at Sav-A Lot food stores, Colgate is 99cents.Now, I must find a place to put the bargains--thus my clutter problem.Hopefully by Spring I will have a handle on things.

• runninginplace
    18 years ago

Des arc--I hear you on thinking about bringing MORE clutter into the house! We had a moment earlier this week. My 14 YO daughter left Thursday for NYC on a school-sponsored art trip. As she was packing, we were talking about her spending money and she commented that she would need to buy something for her grandma, her dad, brother and me. And I said...she really didn't need to do it. Without squelching her very nice instinct to bring us something, we talked about how we've been trying to clear things from the house and that she didn't need to bring more things in to let us know she cares about the family. It really was a nice conversation and y'know, she was actually quite relieved that she could use her spending money for herself, or save some for when she comes home!

A little tiny moment in the decluttering saga. As for me shopping, I'm getting some inadvertent help in that department too. My son is driving now so he takes/picks up his sister every day along with getting himself to school. That means that the pattern we've had for 10+ years of me leaving work mid-afternoon to do school pickup is no longer happening. And THAT plus things being busy at work means I have had not one moment or chance to do the mid day errand/shopping runs I used to do, which in turn means I"m not even getting the chance to browse and buy. Which overall is probably a Good Thing. BTW, I'm still going home in time to be there when they get back. Guess old habits die hard and even teenagers seem to like having a predictable routine every day.

Ann

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nellie2, don't tempt me with those auction box-lots! It's the mystery that appeals to me... not knowing what's in there! Funny thing is you're buying exactly what I'm decluttering... cards, bedding, blankets, sewing, and kitchen stuff.

What I REALLY want is the old-fashioned printed tablecloths. I should put those on my shopping list for this month. I always use them for the garden party in July. They're hard to find (and mid-winter is NOT garage sale time here, LOL) so there's not much chance I'll get them any time soon.

• intherain
    18 years ago

"BTW, I'm still going home in time to be there when they get back. Guess old habits die hard and even teenagers seem to like having a predictable routine every day."

Funny you should mention that, Ann. For years I made sure to be home before the kids because they were too young to be home alone. This is the first year I don't really have to worry about that, and yet I'm still getting home at the same time. I like being there when they get home, and I *think* they like it when I'm there, too. (Well, not sure about DS 16.)

I, too, haven't purchased very much lately because I haven't had time AND because the weather has been so awful that I just don't feel like being out. I went to the mall tonight for the first time and could care less about anything! WOW!

Sheryl

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH