Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddiemom6

If you have not used it......

maddiemom6
18 years ago

Ok... as I have been cleaning out the kitchen I have run into stuff that I am in a quandry about. Attachments to my kitchen aid mixer. I LOVE my mixer but have never liked the splatter sheild thing not have I used the meat grinder or sheader etc... what would you do? I KNOW I should get rid of them... but they were SO costly ( mom got them for me one xmas)..but they are in ziplock bags SO old that the bags are yellow and getting sort of crispy!

Maddiemom, who knows what she SHOULD do

Comments (17)

• marie26
    18 years ago

I have the same problem. I ended up filling a large green garbage bag with these sort of items and put them in the garage just in case I "might" need them one day. That was several months ago and I haven't missed anything yet. For me it was all the attachments (juicer, etc.) that came with a blender I got years ago plus some other things. I always hated the attachments because they never seemed to work right.

You've given me the incentive to finally get rid of them. Thanks.

However, I wouldn't be so ready to get rid of meat grinders or shredders because you never know when you might need them. I'd move them to the garage or storage cabinet and see if you miss them. This is not the advice most people will probably tell you but when not sure, I find it's easier, at least for me, to ease my way to getting it out of the house.

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

Marie said, "However, I wouldn't be so ready to get rid of meat grinders or shredders because you never know when you might need them."

If she "ever" needs them, I will bet you the farm she'll be able to find more. Why take up space with items not used and not needed? That's why there isn't space to store the items we DO need.

Gloria

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

Maddiemom,

You've already NOT used them, since they're already in a crummy old ziplock bag. Send them to Goodwill or somewhere and consider it your Christmas gift to someone who will find them and treasure them.

P.S. "Costly" doesn't make them valuable, usefulness does!

• marie26
    18 years ago

But if there's room in a corner of the garage, I'd hold onto the items for x amount of time and if not missed by then, then get rid of them. I knew I'd be in the minority on this one.

• intherain
    18 years ago

Someone gave me those attachments as a gift and I quickly returned them because I knew they'd end up where yours are now.

You know what to do...

Sheryl

• kittiemom
    18 years ago

This is a hard one for me, too. It's especially difficult for me to get rid of expensive items because I feel guilty. It is becoming easier now that I've done it several times. DH & I went thru our kitchen about a year ago & got rid of a lot of similar items. His mom had given us a really nice, but huge, food processor. It was slightly used - she decided to downsize to a smaller one. If it had been new, we would have returned it. We use one maybe once a year. It sat around for several months just taking up space. We got rid of it & all the attachments. We also got rid of a lot of other kitchen gadgets that we never used.

Will the fact that they were expensive make you use them now? Probably not. They have already used up their "if you don't use it for a year, throw it out" time. They've been stored for a long time & you haven't used them. I would let them go.

• maddiemom6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ok..... out they go today!.... along with a HUGE copper bowl from W.S. It's for whipping egg whites... but honestly if I am going to whip THAT many egg whites I am going to use my mixer!

I figure that there is little need to move them to the garage since as I think about it they have been bagged up for ..... 13 years!!!!!!!!

Maddiemom

• OKMoreh
    18 years ago

Would you consider selling them on ebay? Most KA attachments fit all models, old or new. I would bid on the grinder if I didn't already have one.

• maddiemom6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I did think about ebay but that would ADD more stuff to-do to my life( also trying to pare down in that way!)... I like the thought of a charity getting the money and some lucky person finding it and being thrilled..so it's all win-win :)

Maddiemom

• bitz_nbloomz
    18 years ago

Arrghh...oh to shop the thrift store that Maddie's "stuff" goes to. I'd love to find something like that in our thrift stores.

Once in a tremendously long while there will be, but so many of the stores then fancy themselves more a factory outlet than thrift !! Much higher price than you'd think. Grrr!

• maddiemom6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bitz..... some of my local thifts are also like that....and I will not give to them!.. there is a small local place run by the Ladies of Charity that I like to give to since it's also a place that sells affordable clothing for those who cannot aford to pay $5-8 for a t-shirt!.. heck I can pay that much at Target!.. This place sells kids clothes and such for 50cents a piece.. it makes it so our population of very sweet mexican families can shop and clothe their children. They also help them understand safe parenting and lots of other things... THEY I will give to.... my local Good Will can suck eggs all day long for all I care.

maddiemom

• kittiemom
    18 years ago

We have some like that too. I like like to give to our local Boys & Girls Homes. They do great work with the kids there. The guy in charge of the donations told me that when items are donated, they first look thru them to see if there's a need for them by the kids or in their campus school. Items go there first. Items they can't use go to their thrift store. A lot of senior citizens go there to find bargains while on a fixed income.

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

Maddiemom,

HOORAY FOR YOU!

• bouncingpig
    18 years ago

I have a KitchenAid too, but since I have only had it for a year, I have yet to add the attachments. I am seriously thinking of getting the shredder attachment, as I do grate cheese, etc. frequently, but I am curious if it is easy to attach and clean up. I have an old food processor I NEVER use and need to get rid of because the set up and clean up is more work than it is work. I'd be curious in opinions before I buy this attachment. Thanks!

Brenda

• intherain
    18 years ago

Brenda, it's been a long time since I've seen that attachment, but if I remember correctly, one of the reasons I decided not to keep it was because it did not look simple enough for me. I'll be curious to hear what someone who currently has one says about it.

Sheryl

• artmom
    18 years ago

I have the grinder attachment and love it for meat and cheese. It's easy to attach and clean up. Comes with 2 different size grater attachments. Yesterday I used my leftover ham and made ham salad and hamloaf.

• maddiemom6
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just never really used it.... I use my food processor a lot ... it's easy to clean since you just snap it all a part and put it in the DW... but I think it's a personal thing and each person is different.

maddiemom

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors