Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

'color coding' the Christmas presents--share your Christmas trick

talley_sue_nyc
17 years ago

I didn't do it this year, but last year I did, and it was really useful. WHY didn't I repeat this great strategy? Beats me. No, I know why--I only bought wrapping paper w/ holly, that I liked. So I didn't have the variety I needed.

Here's how it works, and why I do it:

We celebrate Christmas in 2 locations, and we send presents to OTHER locations. Plus there are school friends, church friends, etc.

I decided it breaks down mostly into 3 categories, maybe 4:

-our house (presents between parents and kids);

-Noni's house (presents to grandparents, cousins, etc., that come w/ us to Noni & Nono's hosue on Christmas morning),

-mail-away presents (for my parents, family, out of town friends)

-incidental take-along presents (school, work, church, etc)

Last year I bought some triple-packs of wrapping paper and realized I had some paper w/ snowmen, some w/ Santas, some w/ penguins, some w/ holly.

So---all presents staying at our house had to be wrapped in Penguin paper. Santas went to Noni's house. Snowmen got mailed. Holly was for the incidentals.

It worked pretty well--we could stack them in whatever configuration would make them all fit under the tree, and LOOK nice (no cardboard boxes sitting around; no need to pack them into shopping bags too early).

But when we needed to separate them out for whatever reason (time to pack them into the mailing carton, etc.), we could do so easily.

What do you do, that makes Christmas easier?

Comments (14)

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

When I sent a lot of presents to the families, I used to use one kind of paper for each one. It was easy to wrap then label later that way.

The last two years I haven't had too many gifts go out but I made address labels (without the address) with photos of the recipient on each. That way I didn't have to write all those tags and they were easy to find under the tree.

• Julie_MI_Z5
    17 years ago

I tried the color coded paper once but OF COURSE ran out of the right color paper!

Gifts that get mailed are wrapped and put in a shipping box and sent early to get them out of the house. I've been known to send them before Thanksgiving, but I wasn't that early this year. LOL

Gifts that will be taken elsewhere are wrapped and put in shopping bags, ready to go. I'd rather have them all together and look at the bag than have to rummage around at the last minute making sure I have everything--less stress for me.

I've found myself buying smaller sized gifts so I can put wrapped packages in gift bags instead of shopping bags. LOL Takes up less storage space. :)

• lionors
    17 years ago

I made photo tags, like minnie tx. I tend to write silly things on them, like "Another present for Danny? Are you sure?" Even though it takes more time, it's less tedious than writing them all out!

I did make address labels with just a photo of our house, for presents outside the family or when I run out of the photo tags. At least I don't have to sign who it's from!

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My mom used to get the self-stick address labels (for her own address) and sticks them on the presents that she's going to mail.

Now she prints out the RECIPIENT'S name & address on little sticky labels, and sticks them to the outside of the gift box before she wraps it.

Then, no matter what the post office does to the box, the name will be on it.

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

No mailing of gifts and no going anywhere. Easy and boring. This is the first year I can basically trust everyone and put out everything except the Santa gifts. I bought a bunch of paper because I couldn't remember if I had any. I had plenty, so now I'll have plenty for next year. I wrote on October's block for next year "Don't buy paper." Maybe I'll remember.

And some day, I hope wrapping paper comes in flat squares like birthday paper. We don't have tons of huge gifts and I dislike storing the rolls. I haven't seen any flat paper here.

Gloria

• liz_h
    17 years ago

Gloria, I wonder if the Current catalog carries flat Christmas paper? I know I've bought it a few times in fundraising catalogs.

• Julie_MI_Z5
    17 years ago

Hey Gloria, can I borrow some wrapping paper? I'm totally out!

Years ago I switched to flat paper thinking I would like it better. I didn't. The brand I bought was too small for anything larger than a shirt box, so wrapping was harder.

I keep the rolled paper in a plastic bat in the closet. It was much easier to store once I didn't have a million rolls of the stuff. LOL

• maddiemom6
    17 years ago

My way is a little different.. For each of the kids I pick out a paper that best suits them and then I wrap all of their gifts in that.. so each year I buy 5 types of paper PLUS another roll for gifts that are going to leave the house. That way under the tree we can see who's is who's. The DH and I do not exchange gifts but do stockings so that stuff in not wrapped as a rule.

We do NOT have a morning free for all. Each kid takes a turn opening gifts then they watch mom and dad open gifts. It works out well and helps give at least a TOUCH of gratatuide to the morning since it gives each child a time to express their thanks for each gift to the person who gave it to them. We even have the cell phone right there so we can call those far away and talk to them as we open their gifts!

maddie

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

we opened one-at-a-time when I was a kid, and now also in my new nuclear family. it's so much fun!

But, depending on how many people are there, we can be opening presents until midnight!

That's an interesting idea--a paper for each kid.

• londondi
    17 years ago

While our daughters were growing up we used one paper for each child. However, we didn't put names on the gifts -- we would just remember which paper belonged to which girl. So, Christmas morning, the girls didn't know which packages were theirs. My husband would then hand them out one at a time. The best year was when we had to do one gift in a different paper for our middle daughter. Of course, that was the first gift handed out. She was quite upset to think that she was only getting ONE gift.

A good friend has her gifts wrapped up and the reindeer's names are on each package. Then, on Christmas morning, each person is given a mug of coffee with the reindeer's name corresponding to which gifts are theirs. She says it is great!

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

I just read about the reindeer names. I think that is a terrific idea!!

• cindyloowoo
    17 years ago

When my kids were very little (before being able to read), I had different paper for each child. Then my husband and I could relax on the couch and they would know which gifts they could open without us having to read the tag on each one. (Am I lazy or what? ) It also makes wrapping go much faster if you have the gifts presorted by person and don't have to change paper for each gift.

In our family, Santa brings each child one big thing and the rest of the gifts are from mom and dad. I buy special paper for the gifts from Santa (usually with pictures of Santa on it). I make gift tags with "special" writing and these gifts are placed under the tree separately for the other gifts. That paper never makes another appearance. Santa also leaves each child a letter about their behavior and accomplishments for the past year. It's getting harder to pull this off each year.

Happy Holidays!

• artemiss
    17 years ago

Oh, this brings back happy memories of the years my sons were young and still at home. Every Christmas I would 'code' everyone's gifts, including the ones for the pets. I was the only one with the 'decoder'. One year it was To: #113, or To: #702; another year I used Italian names To: Marcello, or To: Enzio, and some years I color-coded. On Christmas morning they'd come downstairs and find the poster on the wall with the code revealed at last. Our golden retriever Duke would come in and always find his present right away. The little kids always wondered how he could do that when he couldn't even read the poster! (It was always a fresh meaty bone).

Now I buy so many gifts online and never even touch them, let alone wrap them. They get sent directly to the recipient. That's why memories are so important. Happy New Year!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio