Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First edition fiction by famous authors

Posted by marie26 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 15, 07 at 14:01

DH went through his fictional books and took out a bunch to get rid of. This is a good thing but there are some that are first editions by famous authors.

Is e-bay the only place to check if these are worth anything or is there another site I can find out? I stupidly had gotten rid of first editions years ago without ever thinking that they might be worth something.
When do you decide if a book is worth holding onto because the value might increase?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First edition fiction by famous authors

First editions are most valuable. Any books autographedc by the author are valuable. I have a friend who collects first editions, even first editions of magazines.

o

Look in the Yellow Pgs under bks and find ones listed as either 'rare' bk dealers, or something other than the usual chain stores (which may not have knowledgable staff) and ask about your books. Also I think if you Google 'signed book values' you may get sites that let you input titles and get answers.

o

You can also look on Alibris or Abebooks to see how a similar first edition copy of your book is priced. This would at least give you a ballpark idea of what it might be worth.

o

Modern firsts are something with a huge percentage of the value being for mint-condition books, with perfect, original, Mylar-protected dust jackets. For everything else, even first editions, there is a much more modest value.

First edition Hemingway and you're really in luck; first edition of one of the current mystery or thriller authors, well, you may be in luck if it's an early work by the author (when fewer were printed) but not if it is a FE of a later work when every Borders and B&N sold hundreds of copies of the first printing of the edition.

And of course, first editions of the book club runs aren't worth anything.

You can check all the used book sites at once by going to www.addall.com. Sort the results by price in ascending order, or descending, as your personality requires. And remember those are asking prices to buy the books, not to sell the books. EBay final bid prices are much lower in most cases.

o

Depends--do you have the dustjackets? Book club first editions aren't worth anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here