Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntyara

I saw this video today and I can't believe it works

auntyara
12 years ago

Hi all, I lurk here every so often and I just had to share this.

I don't have any affiliation with this guy and don't have any of his books. I saw this today and it really worked for me.

I get so over whelmed with house work I can't even start some days. My house is always a cluttered mess. but I watched this video and I swear I feel like a whole new person.

I emailed this to my daughter and it worked for her too.:)

You have to watch the whole thing. And take it seriously.

In it he says "fight the urge to start cleaning. (lol) Until the video's done".

I hope it works for you all too

Here is a link that might be useful: my desk is so clean

Comments (8)

• graywings123
    12 years ago

I watched it. It didn't work for me. My desk is still dirty.

• jannie
    12 years ago

Didn't work for me.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

meh... desk didn't need cleaning anyways.

auntyara, do you play that on a regular basis to motivate yourself?

• auntyara
    Original Author
    12 years ago

awe that's too bad it didn't work for you guys :(
    I guess I have an easy to brain wash mind. lol. my daughter too.
    I watched it and cleaned my desk. Then I went into my kitchen and envisioned it clean too. and I couldn't stop cleaning until it was done.
    Pretty weird. So that was on Friday, and I'm proud to say my kitchen and desk are still clean!!!
    I really should envision my other rooms clean but I'm not ready to go crazy like that again. It was weird because I couldn't stop. And now, when one of the kids or my husband puts a dish in the sink, I kinda feel compelled to clean it.
    I only watched the video 2x on Friday. It worked on some kind of nerve in my head even though it looked so stupid.

When I envisioned my desk and kitchen clean I really saw it when my eyes were closed and seeing it clean in my mind made me so happy. I felt like a huge weight was off my shoulders
    Next thing you know, I'm like a cleaning freak in a semi dream like state. Well that's not what it was really like but it sure didn't feel like it was me. sorry can't find the right words to describe it.
    I'm sorry it didn't work for any of you, but I'm soooo glad it worked on me. DH is happy too.
    I hope it's long lasting, because I never want to go back to a messy kitchen again.
    :) Laura

• oceanna
    12 years ago

I really like this video. Thanks for posting it, Laura. I need all the help I can get. :)

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

auntyara, I'm glad it's working for you. It's making me think I need to get this desk cleaned off. LOL I do love a clean desk and clean kitchen. My desk top and kitchen counters are always a source of clutter. I inherited this terrible trait from my mom. Who would have thought this is something one could inherit, but I did. Like her, I keep a very clean house, but when it comes to desks and counters, I have to have it cluttered to function.

I once read a book and maybe need to reread it, by Ms. Morganstern. I can't think of her first name. She waa a guest on Oprah many, many years ago. This book explains the deep psychological reasons why some people have messy desk for instance, or don't hang up their clothes, etc. I hate clothes lying around and if a piece touches the floor I don't even want to wear it again. I hate anything except a pair of shoes or my oets' paws touching the floor. However when it comes to counters and waist high surfaces, I can mess them up like no body's business.

I'm going to practice this guy's technique in the coming days. I need something/someone to give me that pull every day to clear off tops of furniture. LOL

• talley_sue_nyc
    12 years ago

Julie Morgenstern.

• talley_sue_nyc
    12 years ago

The "pull" vs. "push" motivation reminds me of the theory I've been trying to live with as I try to motivate myself out of a big doldrum:

Don't do things because you "should." There's no more "should."
    Do things because you *want* to. And as you're thinking about--oh, say, walking at the mall to lose weight: Don't say, "I should lose weight. I should walk." Instead:

Focus on how you feel when you get done walking. Focus on how good it feels in the process of walking. Identify what you like about it, or what you want, and think about that. Dwell on it.

Then say, "I want that feeling of accomplishment; I want that feeling of muscles working smoothly in rhythm." or whatever it is.

Don't even say, "I want to walk." Focus on the feeling you anticipate, and identify it when you *do* feel it.

And then, revel in that feeling.

I've been actively using this already for motiving myself to be more productive at home, and to organize areas that need it. It works!

And I also open up the closet door and stand there and admire my handiwork, and ALSO admire the emotions I'm feeling.