Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane_the_renovator

OT: looking for cotton underwear catalog

Jane_the_Renovator
16 years ago

My mother wants me to track down the company that made the catalog of all-cotton undergarments that I gave her pre-Internet, 15 years ago.

I've looked online and I'm not faring too well in my search. Maybe they're out of business? I figured you ladies would know. Here's what I remember about the catalog:

* the models were the company employees

* the models were all ages, shapes, and sizes

* the company was located somewhere on the east coast

* the products were all cotton and included some hard-to-find items like slips

* the catalog had a distinctly feminist vibe

Mom says that she's looking for comfortable old-fashioned underwear. If you have any other ideas, she would be interested. Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Jane

Comments (10)

• livingthedream
    16 years ago

While this one doesn't sound exactly like the one you are looking for -- they carry other products in addition to the all-cotton ones -- they do have a lot of old-fashioned all-cotton hard-to-find stuff (and good customer service):

www.ShopNational.com

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

The Vermont Country Store has cotton underwear. Take a trip back in time :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermont Country Store

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

I don't know about the 'feminist vibe' you mention or if the models are company employees, but this one linked below, is based on the East Coast, offers cotton slips, uses non-professional models (who appear to have aged over the years in their pages so they may be employees), and has that 'hippie' feel to the cataloge.

There are a lot of all cotton underwear places on the internet that offer better looking items though, and for a lot less money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Cotton and Hemp Clothing

• parrot_phan
    16 years ago

Then there's Gaiam -- all organic cotton.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gaiam undies

• amoretti
    16 years ago

I remember that catalog! I think it came out of North Carolina. They were part of Coop America, definitely a left-wing sensibility. I think they must be out of business because I stopped getting it...it was great.

On the plus side, it is no longer difficult to find cotton underwear.

• trilobite
    16 years ago

You're thinking about Travis Place! I still have one of their old catalogs because it's such a hoot. They are now a bit more corporate looking and called "Back to Basics",

Here is a link that might be useful: Back to Basics

• jannie
    16 years ago

May not be what you want, but I got a catalog from a company called Winter Silks that has beautiful silk longjohns,PJ's, etc.

• Jane_the_Renovator
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the links! trilobite, you got it! The company was Travis Place! I checked out the Back to Basics online catalog and they're nowhere near as fun as Travis Place was.

Mom got excited about the underwear on ShopNational's site, so thank you for that link, livingthedream. I have passed the others on to her, too. Jannie, you hit the nail on the head with the WinterSilks, too--I think they own the whole line already.

Thanks for all the great ideas, everybody!

Jane

• edselpdx
    16 years ago

Is it this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Decent Exposures

• Jane_the_Renovator
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mom got her underwear from ShopNational and she LOVES them. They carried exactly what she was looking for. She says thank you very much to all of you.

Jane