Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idie2live

X POST - Getting Organized and Down Sizing

idie2live
14 years ago

Hello Everyone, My name is Loretta. I've been reading this forum for a while, and have seen tons of good advice.

I'm not known for being the most organized person, but I have something to share. I x-posted this in Small Homes forum where I usually hang out.

Back in the spring I had some work done on the house. One of the things I decided to do was build a small pantry (2' wide) and use my present pantry/storage (6' wide closet in the kitchen)for something else. I found that the more space I had, the more 'stuff' I piled in it. Well, I have been half heartedly getting rid of unneeded and unused items. It is still not empty, but I thought I would show you all my progress.

This is what I had.

{{!gwi}}

This is how it looks now. All of the Christmas bins will be stored outside in the storage house. I plan to give the copier to the Salvation Army. Eventually I plan to move the freezer in this space and have shallow shelves beside it.

{{!gwi}}

And this the new pantry. I told the builder exactly what I wanted size-wise, but was a little worried that I was going too small. But it holds plenty for 2 people.

I have another storage space in the hallway, that I plan to reorganize also. Progress is being made - slow, but sure.

Loretta

Comments (14)

• maryliz
    14 years ago

Hey, Loretta! Thanks for sharing your before and after photos. Good inspiration. Congratulations on paring down and desinging your new shelves. They're really nice.

MaryLiz in Michigan

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Loretta, you did such a good job. I love it that the shelves aren't deep, and adjustable. I would be thrilled with a pantry like that. Inspiring indeed!

• sunfeather
    14 years ago

Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment. Thank you for the inspiration.

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everybody. There is nothing like looking at a picture I plan to put online to show me how much clutter I've been living with. lol

• des_arc_ya_ya
    14 years ago

Oh, gosh, it looks great! Welcome to the forum. Doesn't it feel good to reward yourself by looking at the photos of your accomplishments!?

• sherwoodva
    14 years ago

Thanks, Loretta. This motivates me to keep on sorting through my stuff. DH does the cooking and sometimes buys way more than he needs. The plastic containers are forever tumbling out when I open the cupboard door.

Welcome to the forum.

• jannie
    14 years ago

I have a pantry closet that looks a lot like your "before" picture. LOL. I could organize it in about an hour , just by putting "like with like". Thanks for the inspiration to organize!

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Terrific job with your pantry organization.

If you are like me you keep looking at it admiring your progress and enjoying the neatness.

Keep it up!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Loretta, you did an awesome job! What will you be using the original pantry for now?

• reyesuela
    14 years ago

Looks great!

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Ladies!
    I thought I would show the final result of my pantry/closet pare-down.
    I have room for the freezer, shelves up top which are 2' deep, and shelves on the side which are 12" deep. I have room for my fryer, roaster, steamer, ice chest, brooms, mops and vaccum!

Also, here is a pic of my newly cleaned and purged linen closet! (I'm getting to like this)!

Loretta

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Loretta:
    I dream of one day being so organized! I love that you were able to make everything easier to see and work fo you better! Congrats for an inspirational job.

• jannie
    14 years ago

Loretta, love the before and after photos. You inspire me!

• idie2live
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ladies. I'm finding that the more I do, the easier it is for me. Of course it helsp that I don't have any little kids at home anymore. It is a process, though, isn't it?