Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

elizabeth10029, I found that desk I was talking about

talley_sue_nyc
18 years ago

It's in the current issue (Feb 06) of Real Simple (and why in the world IS the Feb. issue coming out in December? I work in magazines, and I've *never* figured that out)--page 178

It's by Hold Everything--the Carroll Desk-- not Pottery Barn.

The catalog pic has a hutch on it. In your situation, if it's against a wall, I think I'd wall-mount the hutch about 5 inches up in the air, or put some other shelf there. So that I could use the desk space UNDER the hutch.

Side-access shelves would work under this, as well.

Comments (4)

• teacats
    18 years ago

Just got my issue -- and honestly I really don't like any of the decorating makeovers featured in that issue.

Honestly -- none of the re-done rooms look very comfy-cozy to me -- but maybe I'm just not "getting" their style. LOL!!!

Liked the desk but if that gal (one of the homeowners) thinks she can write a book -- and THEN simply tidy it away (where is she going to stack papers??) -- and close it up --- welllllllll -- good luck to her!!! LOL!!! When I'm writing -- good heavens -- my desk and surrounding areas can be a mess for ages ((well -- I do "tidy" and pile things up!!!LOL))

• User
    18 years ago

Talley Sue--you are amazing. Thanks so much for remembering my desk dilemmas. Today I spent several minutes telling an colleague with whom I shared a classroom back in the late 70s about how helpful this forum and you have been. I told her about visual calm and my new brown (and unobstrusive) document boxes I am testing out for current papers from the Container Store. And I told her about my order that arrived yesterday from Talas of different sized boxes to test out what I need. (I used them all -- including to store my grandmother's perfume bottles.

I have been making progress but it is still a struggle. "Little by little" house is getting organized and I attribute some of my motivation to this site and to your help.

As for the desk. I love the aesthetics. Thanks you so much.

Desk guy doesn't like that particular mechanism -- wants to do a "harpscord" mechanism for my keyboard but the look is the same; dimensions will be different. I have come to certain decisions that have to do with factors beyond my control -- where the radiator is and a jog ("step back" is the term I have learned) in the wall. Desk will be 29 inches high with the keyboard at 26. Sixty inches long, 24 or 25 inches deep. No hutch. The storage for my boxes is yet to be worked out --as is the space for black and white printer and photo printer. I'm waiting for drawings.

I'm sending your picture along for his perusal. (He is actually a very talented young artisan who is taking this on as a design challenge.

Simple Life is an interesting publication -- February or no.

• jfrorelo
    18 years ago

I love it! I've been looking for a small mail/bill type desk and getting very frustrated.

Now, if only I hadn't just read the thread on and taken the January pledge to not bring anything new in the house! LOL. Actually, budget dictates the January rule anyway, but I'm bookmarking that link for later.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

and here's what you need on the wall!

A shallow glass-front cabinet w/ a little ledge at the bottom for stuff you always want out.

Here is a link that might be useful: ain't it pretty?