Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mi_z5

Dining Room Breakables

Julie_MI_Z5
18 years ago

Stuffed in the back of the storage closet are boxes labeled "Dining Room Breakables". I opened one up and sure enough! it's full of dining room breakables. You know, Grandma stuff like cups & saucers and 100+ year old bone china plates with flowers on them. I like antique pieces, just not millions of them.

It was my mother's plan for me to pack up some of the antique junk, and rotate the collection. Well, that doesn't work. I NEVER rotate! LOL

Today I'm gong to fill another box of "Dining Room Breakables" and clean off the overflowing hutch to make it easier to dust.

I have things *I* like that I will display instead.

There are probably grandmothers rolling over in their graves right now. Sorry (oops, that's a lie, my mind is made up and I'm not sorry at all).

And someday, when the boys have kids, I'm going to cover my house in breakables and watch them deal with toddlers, just for the laugh.

Comments (7)

• marie26
    18 years ago

My clean-freak sister has a condo that should be the model apartment. It's immaculate and beautifully decorated. She won't have her grandchildren visit because they might break something. This was the decision after a toddler did break something. She does, however, visit them practically everyday and helps their mothers out a lot.

I, on the other hand, live such a different lifestyle. They'd probably take pictures of my house because it feels so lived in and not properly decorated. In my defense, we've moved so many times that you buy furniture to fit one house, then it doesn't quite fit in the next, and the next. You get the picture.

I have 5 kids and I decided it wasn't important enough to have breakables (except for my good set of china that's in the credenza). I've never been one to put out nick nacks (sp?). I also have, in the master bedroom closet, a large box of my mug collection. I have collected mugs from most places I've visited. I usually take them out and put them somewhere but I knew that I'd be in this house for only 2 years and it didn't seem to be worth the bother. I know I should get rid of them but these mugs were usually the only thing I ever took as a memory of these places. I'm just not ready yet. Perhaps if I had a cabinet to put them in, I'd feel better about it.

• bianchi2
    18 years ago

Julie Mi, you 're not giving that china away, are you?
    Bianchi

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Marie,
    We used "practice" breakables for a while to see how the boys would do with valuable stuff. None of the junky breakables ever broke, of course! It was easier, though, to just keep most everything put away when they were small. My house is still pretty kid-proof except for electrical outlets and the broken baby latch under the kitchen sink, LOL. I'll never win a House Beautiful contest, but we're comfortable enough (my parents hate our house).

Bianchi,
    The family heirlooms are packed away. Someday I'll figure out what to do with them all. Quite frankly, I'm rather tired of looking at OTHER people's stuff when there is stuff of my own I would like to display.

• intherain
    18 years ago

Ooooh, Julie, you are so bad!!!! LOL

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

Julie said, "Quite frankly, I'm rather tired of looking at OTHER people's stuff when there is stuff of my own I would like to display. "

This one I understand. None of my grandparents had much, so other than the family quilts, most of the items are ones my mom was able to buy right after WWII. Some of it is fine and I don't mind having, but other items I know she loves but I just don't want. I finally had to tell her that I would take a few things, but otherwise, ask my brother or cousins and we would have to let the stuff go.

I've told myself for the past 6 years, "I need a place to live my life, not store my life." My mantra.

Gloria

• bianchi2
    18 years ago

Well, Julie, if it happen to break "accidently", of course, you could always use it for mosaic or give it to me and I use it in some mosaic project.
    Bianchi

• breenthumb
    18 years ago

Gloria, "I need a place to live my life, not store my life" is the best mantra ever! Sandy