Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zenpotter

organizing beads

zenpotter
18 years ago

Hi I have been a lurker for a few months, I tried a search for this problem and didn't find an answer. I work with beads and have them in various types of containers. I spend almost as much time finding the beads I want as I do beading. Does anyone have a suggestion for clear storage containers that allow me to see the beads without opening the container? I don't want anything as small as tubes. Something that is a bit bigger than a film case would be the right size. Preferably something that stacks.

Comments (13)

• jannie
    18 years ago

How about a fishing tackle box? I use mine to hold my many,many pairs of earrings. Got it at a sporting goods store maybe 20 years ago.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jannie, I have tried that the beads somehow just jump around and get mixed up. There needs to be a cover on each seperate color. Beads are sneaky and manage to move around if they have the chance.

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

there are beading storage boxes at places like Michaels, specifically FOR beads--sort of tackle-box style. The bottoms of the compartments are rounded. I don't know if the sides come up to the lid and snap in place or not--they should.

Otherwise, my personal vote is that you give up on "stackable," and start laying them on their sides. Then you can easily find bottles or jars. You can see through them without picking them up.

You'll need something to put the bottles or jars IN, to keep them from rolling everywhere, and so you can stack layers of them. Any of those chests with shallow drawers would work--the Sterilite kinds, or the tool/hobby kinds. Or even, then, a tackle box or tool kit.

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

don't forget the pros, and how they organize these things.

• bouncingpig
    18 years ago

There are clear acrylic spice containers you can buy that would work great. The have nice screw on lids. I bought mine on-line a couple years ago. I think mine was actually through a cosmetics supplier, as these also work great for people that make lotions and creams. Mine are 4 oz. size, but they come in multiple sizes.

Brenda

• bouncingpig
    18 years ago

I found these little guys on ebay. They might be perfect and they are affordable. It sounds like she has lots of these, so you could email the seller if you needed larger quantities. Plus, she might have more sizes.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Little jars on ebay

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Brenda, they look good. What is the diameter and height?

Pauline

• bouncingpig
    18 years ago

I don't know. I would email the seller for the size. Grams doesn't mean much to me! Also, ask her if she has other sizes available. Good luck!

Brenda

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

If you have large quantities, maybe something like Gladware containers? Not totally clear, but you can label them and use small cellophane envelopes to hold the individual types of beads. One container could say "Red Beads" and other "Blue Beads" etc.

Gladware containers definitely stack, and they're cheap, so that's a plus. Dividing beads in clear envelopes by color or size or whatever might be more advantageous than having a bunch of small jars.

• intherain
    18 years ago

"there are beading storage boxes at places like Michaels, specifically FOR beads--sort of tackle-box style. The bottoms of the compartments are rounded. I don't know if the sides come up to the lid and snap in place or not--they should."

I use one of these for my beads and they all stay in place. Works great!

Sheryl

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I went to Michaels yesterday and purchased a stacking organizer for beads to try it out. I am also going to try the celophane and glad wrap containers for some. Brenda I wrote to the seller on e-bay and she does have some larger ones. I am keeping that is another possibility.

I do have many varieties of beads and have some that I purchased in a bead Market in the Middle East that came in half kilo (1.1 pound) bags. I have collected all of these beads and now I have so many I can't keep track of what I have. After I started getting all of these great ideas I started to think what I need is smaller containers to hold some of each type of bead and then keep the larger bags to fill those.

Next I have to find the time to use them. I am guessing everyone I know will be getting beaded items for Christmas next year.

Pauline

• terryinmd
    18 years ago

I keep mine in sandwich bags, and then keep the bags in shoeboxes. Easy to find the color I want, and the shoeboxes stack.

• pammyfay
    18 years ago

I use some of the film canisters, but there's something in the kitchen dept you might like. They are the round tins to hold spices, and they have a see-through lid and are magnetized on the bottom. They usually come with a metal strip or board you can hang up on a wall. Here's a link to one type:

Here is a link that might be useful: village store/spice tins