Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mi_z5

New Idea for Clothing Donations

Julie_MI_Z5
18 years ago

A friend of mine is getting divorced and has been taking some sort of "displaced housewife" class at a community college to learn basic workplace skills.

She said they have a "Boutique" shop for the women in the class, where they can "shop" for FREE career clothing.

I had 2 boxes of too-big clothes in the attic that I packed up last winter in case I gained my weight back. I didn't, I don't plan to now, and those 2 boxes are now on their way to the Boutique.

If I had known sooner, they could have had all the suits I got rid of last month!

Comments (4)

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

We have an umbrella organization called the Women's Resource Center. As well as dress/professional type clothing they need donations of pantyhose, shoes, purses and nice jewelry to make the outfits complete.

Gloria

• Julie_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I wish there was better awareness of places that offer things for FREE to those who need them.

My maternity & baby clothes all went to a crisis pregnancy center, because they provided them FOR FREE to women who needed them. I thought that was a lot better than donating them to a thrift store to sell. Our closest thrift store is VERY over-priced. I've seen some used items priced higher than brand new.

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

Julie, Make a few calls and see what organizations do what.

We have a Catholic and Lutheran Social Services programs which give out the stuff for free. Our Salvation Army stores use the funds from their stores for their alcohol and drug rehab programs. Value Village here buys their stuff from two organizations which do the pick up. Arca is a program for providing services for mentally handicapped individuals and the other Value Village gets their stuff from Big Brothers and Big Sisters. We have four different churches which have thrift stores to support various programs they run.

I know both here and other places I've lived, the social service organizations give vouchers for people to get things from the other thrift stores if they don't have what they need available. So even if the stuff isn't being given away, the money frequently is paying for other good programs.

Gloria

• jannie
    18 years ago

When I knew I was done with my maternity clothes, I donated them to a Right-to-life group. They were very happy to accept them and didn't prosthletize.