Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
somepeabody1

How do you store your pots & pans

peabody1
17 years ago

How do you all store your pots and pans to keep them from being damaged? I have noticed that the non-stick coating on my cooking pots has worn off around the rim on the handle side. I think it might be because I stack the two pots one inside the other, but I'm not sure. I keep them in a pots and pan drawer. I don't have room enough to store each pot or pan by itself (non-stacked). And a pot rack is out of the question. Suggestions or tips or advise how you do it?

Comments (11)

• steve_o
    17 years ago

Hmmm ... I store mine stacked (including the non-stick) and have never had a problem with it peeling or getting scratched. I do put the non-stick at the top and stack it only two-high. The other pots are stacked with the lids inverted so the next-higher pot can stand atop.

• busybee3
    17 years ago

i put paper plates (the styrofoam ones) in between my nonstick fry pans to prevent damage to the cooking surface... the edges i don't worry about...my sauce pans are stainless, but some type of bubblewrap piece (the little bubble type) should protect a nonstick saucepan pretty well.....

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

I have one lower cabinet, 14" wide. Traditional depth, with two roll out shelf/drawers. Top drawer has a 12" pan I use almost daily with lid kept on the pan. Two small stainless saucepans with lids on in front of big pan. Second drawer has 8" skillet with the 4 quart pot on top of each other. They are the same size, so the don't nest, just stack. The lid fits both and kept on which ever pan is on top. Medium saucepan in front of that with the lid on. Cast iron skillet is kept in the broiler.

Are the pans you are nesting really being used on a daily basis? Can you remove any of those not frequently used and stop nesting? I cook almost every day of the year and it's important to me to just reach in and grab what I need without having to move something.

I need new pans and HD wanted to pick up a set at Costco. Nope, says I. I'd rather pay more at a specialty shop and get just the size pans I need and will fit in my storage.

Gloria

• marge727
    17 years ago

My husband nailed cedar strips over each window and instead of curtains, I hang AllClad pans and pots. We also have one of those wrought iron circle things with hooks and we hang pots and pans there. Anything not in frequent usage gets relegated to the more inaccessible corner.
    If you have an older Wolf Range it destroys pans with wooden handles so you really don't have old ones to worry about.

• liz_h
    17 years ago

I keep my non-stick skillets in plastic bags. That seems to be enough to protect the finish. What used to scratch it is the screw head on the bottom of some other pans where the handle is attached to the pan.

• mustangs81
    17 years ago

I have a stainless steel (maybe it's chrome) vertical pan rack. It holds 6 to 8 frying pans The pans are stored on end.

• bonelady
    17 years ago

I put paper towels between my non-stick fry pans.

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

I thought this product from Rockler is unique. If you click on the larger image link, you'll see ones which wouldn't need a drawer from and could adapt an older frameless cabinet.

Gloria

Here is a link that might be useful: sideways pan storage

• liz_h
    17 years ago

Gloria,

I can't remember the manufacturer of that product, but they also make a far less expensive one that goes in the bottom of an existing drawer.

• mariend
    17 years ago

Recently I have upgraded all my pan (non stick) to Cuismart brand. Expensive but oh so nice and the fry pans are Cusimart with tephlon, but I found a pan rack made by Martha Sterwart at KMart where the fry pans and lids fit nice in my deep drawer. The other pans are on a revolving shelf in a corner, lids with pan, no stacking. I try to remember we can only use 4 pans at time.