Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you store your open bread/snacks?

Posted by venividibitchy (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 9, 10 at 0:38

I can never keep my counters clear of partially-cut loaves of bread and open snack packages....and I've got no cabinet/pantry space, nor room above the fridge.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you store your open bread/snacks?

I have a plastic drawer that pulls open. It sits on the counter in my kitchem. I consider it my "bread box." I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond. They sell single drawers that stack. I bought just one.

o

I either use pegs to close the bags or use plastic containers or zip lock bags to store food and put it back in a cupboard

o

I have a metal breadbox.

I have also seen a cabinet drawer that's actually a breadbox, but if you're tight on space you prob don't want to give that current cabinet space up.

Do you have any floor space? For something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: seagrass 3-drawer storage

o

We have the type of cabinet that pammyfay mentions. Ironically, I eat very little bread and no snacks that come in packages. (I assume you mean things like potato chips or pretzels?) But that drawer is a good place to store chocolate bars. heh heh heh. At any rate, for what it's worth, since you apparently don't have such a drawer, I'd stock up on glass storage containers and/or metal cannisters for the snacks, and on a metal breadbox for your bread.

o
oops RE: How do you store your open bread/snacks?

Sorry, veni, but I didn't read all of your post carefully. Had not realized you're lacking in space. Assume my suggestion is that you can arrange the storage containers along the counter top instead. It still might be somewhat cluttery looking, but at least an array of containers with a similar look might look a bit neater.

o

I'm an obsessive space organizer so my guess is you may very well have storage space available that you don't realize. Any space in a cabinet where there's air space is potentially storage space unnoticed. All you need is a way to add extra flat space to that cabinet such as using the type of organizer linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet Organizer

o

I bought three bread storage boxes from Tupperware (decades ago). I make my own bread and my standard loaf fits perfectly into one of these boxes. They are air tight and roomy enough to hold rolls (or short bread sticks). I suppose things like chips or other snacks would also fit, although I keep things like that in their original bags with clips. I don't have much storage in my kitchen either, so I use racks to double the space in my cabinets. This bread box lives atop one of these racks, inside my cabinet. The link below is similar to my dish rack -- you can get the idea. I think I like mine better because it's coated like a dishwasher rack... quiet.

Here is a link that might be useful: space-making shelf

o

Like justgotabme and thanks to Talley_Sue, I searched my whole house for unused head space and added an extra shelf to almost every existing shelf in my pantry, cabinets, closets. In the pantry for example, where I started with 4 shelves, I now have 8. It isn't pretty, but you can see three of the extra shelves in this picture.

Pantry

The real find--I came across a refrigerator shelf at a thrift store; it was a couple of $$s so I thought I would chance it. Turned out that it was the same as my laundry room refrigerator. It's so great for party platters when I am entertaining and for bottled drinks on a regular bases.

o

What do you mean "it ain't pretty"!

That's BEAUTIMOUS! It's all organized and tidy and labeled.

o

I agree with LazyGardens your pantry is beauimous!

o

I save the clear plastic containers salad comes in at Kroger, and re-use them for open bags of chips, noodles, popcorn, etc. That way I can stack them 3 or 4 high in the cabinent, I can see what's in them, and they're FREE with the salad I'd be buying anyway!

Here's a picture - the top item on this page is what I'm talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: clear salad container

o

Hey-thanks for the compliment! When I see some of the stunning pantries and contents on the Kitchen Forum, I feel inadequate!

I purposely didn't respond directly to the OP's question because he/she mentioned not having space. But I will share that I store all chips, bread, cookies, etc. in my warming drawer. I found a Rubbermaid bin that fits my WD perfectly. I threw away the lid (actually, I left it at the store) and it acts as a liner. When I need to use the WD, I lift out the bin with all the contents and store it in the laundry room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here