Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
venividibitchy

How do you store your open bread/snacks?

venividibitchy
13 years ago

I can never keep my counters clear of partially-cut loaves of bread and open snack packages....and I've got no cabinet/pantry space, nor room above the fridge.

Any ideas?

Comments (12)

• jannie
    13 years ago

I have a plastic drawer that pulls open. It sits on the counter in my kitchem. I consider it my "bread box." I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond. They sell single drawers that stack. I bought just one.

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

I either use pegs to close the bags or use plastic containers or zip lock bags to store food and put it back in a cupboard

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

I have a metal breadbox.

I have also seen a cabinet drawer that's actually a breadbox, but if you're tight on space you prob don't want to give that current cabinet space up.

Do you have any floor space? For something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: seagrass 3-drawer storage

• lynxe
    13 years ago

We have the type of cabinet that pammyfay mentions. Ironically, I eat very little bread and no snacks that come in packages. (I assume you mean things like potato chips or pretzels?) But that drawer is a good place to store chocolate bars. heh heh heh. At any rate, for what it's worth, since you apparently don't have such a drawer, I'd stock up on glass storage containers and/or metal cannisters for the snacks, and on a metal breadbox for your bread.

• lynxe
    13 years ago

Sorry, veni, but I didn't read all of your post carefully. Had not realized you're lacking in space. Assume my suggestion is that you can arrange the storage containers along the counter top instead. It still might be somewhat cluttery looking, but at least an array of containers with a similar look might look a bit neater.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

I'm an obsessive space organizer so my guess is you may very well have storage space available that you don't realize. Any space in a cabinet where there's air space is potentially storage space unnoticed. All you need is a way to add extra flat space to that cabinet such as using the type of organizer linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Like justgotabme and thanks to Talley_Sue, I searched my whole house for unused head space and added an extra shelf to almost every existing shelf in my pantry, cabinets, closets. In the pantry for example, where I started with 4 shelves, I now have 8. It isn't pretty, but you can see three of the extra shelves in this picture.

The real find--I came across a refrigerator shelf at a thrift store; it was a couple of $$s so I thought I would chance it. Turned out that it was the same as my laundry room refrigerator. It's so great for party platters when I am entertaining and for bottled drinks on a regular bases.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

What do you mean "it ain't pretty"!

That's BEAUTIMOUS! It's all organized and tidy and labeled.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

I agree with LazyGardens your pantry is beauimous!

• mommabird
    13 years ago

I save the clear plastic containers salad comes in at Kroger, and re-use them for open bags of chips, noodles, popcorn, etc. That way I can stack them 3 or 4 high in the cabinent, I can see what's in them, and they're FREE with the salad I'd be buying anyway!

Here's a picture - the top item on this page is what I'm talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: clear salad container

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Hey-thanks for the compliment! When I see some of the stunning pantries and contents on the Kitchen Forum, I feel inadequate!

I purposely didn't respond directly to the OP's question because he/she mentioned not having space. But I will share that I store all chips, bread, cookies, etc. in my warming drawer. I found a Rubbermaid bin that fits my WD perfectly. I threw away the lid (actually, I left it at the store) and it acts as a liner. When I need to use the WD, I lift out the bin with all the contents and store it in the laundry room.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz