Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommabird_gw

Christmas and gifts...all that stuff

mommabird
11 years ago

This year I decided not to save things to buy my sons for Xmas. Instead I bought them "extras" through the year I'd normally have waited to buy and give them 12/25. A Kindle for my youngest son, special shoes for oldest (more $ than I would normally spend), Army gear for the middle (he is into military stuff), video games that came out during the year, etc. I thought of it in the same vein as "saving for nice," instead of having 5 or 6 things on one day, they get to enjoy a tear every month or two. It's easier on me financially and they have enjoyed it more than a lot of stuff at once.

For Christmas the oldest will get a laptop since he's graduating this year & will need it for college. The other 2 will get less expensive items. All 3 will get their ski passes for the season. This is something I get them every year - the passes and membership to thei school ski clubs.

It will also be easier to organize. I won't have to find a place to put a bunch of stuff at once.

Comments (6)

• jannie
    11 years ago

I gave my daughter $545 in October for a pair of boots she really wanted. I told her "Consider this your Christmas gift." Yes, I will get her a few little things and put them in a stocking, but nothing big. It's okay with her. I've often thought, why not give people you love gifts for no special reason rather than buying and putting things away for special occasions. We love our friends and family all year, not just on Dec. 25.

• bspofford
    11 years ago

This makes me laugh! I have two nieces that haven't had a birthday or Christmas present to open on the day of in years. When they see something they would like as a birthday gift or a Christmas gift, they let dad know. Mom and Dad stick to the idea of 'if I get this now, you don't have to buy me a gift on my actual birthday or Christmas'. At least they are able to enjoy the gift sooner.

• Adella Bedella
    11 years ago

I like the idea, but we are not there yet. We still have one firm believer in Santa. Last year, she told me she didn't have to clean her room because Santa would be cleaning it for Christmas. I told her Santa wasn't coming all this way to clean her room and the elves weren't doing it either.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Hub and I have not exchanged gifts on Christmas for decades.
    I buy him a gift when I feel like it, not when arbitrary numbers appear on a square on a calendar somewhere.

• jannie
    11 years ago

Hubby and I no longer exchange Christmas gifts. I buy him all new underwear and socks (like his Mother used to) and we buy a "house gift". Last year it was a new vacuum, this year it will be a new kitchen floor. I get to pick the house gift, so I always am happy!

• sherwoodva
    11 years ago

There is only one child in our family, so she still gets a gift. The rest of us get together for a special dinner at a nice restaurant. We do this (separately) with my parents and with DH's parents. For ourselves, our gifts are always travel. Like the others, we buy what we need when we need it, but we actually "need" very little.