Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
superbee_gw

Tiny bottles of shampoo and lotion

superbee
18 years ago

My work until recently involved a lot of travel and staying in hotels. I used to pick up an occasional bottle of shampoo, conditioner and/or lotion from the bathroom "for an emergency". These things really multiply in the closet I tell ya. Now I have about a hundred tiny bottles of shampoo, conditioner and lotion and I have no idea what to do with them. I am happy to get rid of them but who will want them? Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments (9)

• maddiemom6
    18 years ago

See if you have an brach of INTERFAITH HOSPITALITY NETWORK in your area... it's a network of churches that foster homeless families. We are always in need of such things since it's hard for the families to keep up with such things as they move around each week.

Maddiemom

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

Our local women's and men's shelters really like getting these. Especially this time of year they can make up some nice little gifts with them.

If you have a teen shelter like Covenent House, they will gladly take them. School nurses and social workers know of the families which could use these products.

If all else fails, you could put them on your local freecycle list.

Gloria

• superbee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Great ideas. Maddiemom, the nearest Interfaith Hospitality Network is about an hour away and is still in the process of being set up. However, there are a couple of shelters in the area that could probably use them. I will hand them over today.

Thanks

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

I refuse to pick them up anymore--I just use them, or leave them untouched.

I have small bottles in the overnight kits, and fill them from the regular shampoo when they get too small.

I suppose if I had a relationshpi w/ a shelter, or something, I'd pick them up and drop them off, but I don't. So they'd just be in the way.

• superbee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah I understand. Catch me picking them again ever!! Who knew they'd multiply so fast :) Well I don't travel so much for work anymore.

• mustangs81
    18 years ago

I use to travel 75% with my job and also collected tons of toiletries. I kept the soaps from fancy hotels (Waldorf Astoria, Mission Palms, Maui Marriott, etc) in a decorative container in the guest bathroom; I gave the others to shelters. A colleague was soliciting items for HIV patients, I gave him a large box of minitures. He refused them and told me that it would remind HIV patients that "life was short for them". He said he would only accept full size toiletries.

I have since sold all my hotel toiletries at my garage sale.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

my best friend's mom has several tupperware tubs (like sweater box size) of them from her husband travelling on business...

we did finally get her to donate them to A Woman's PLace.

they also make nice things to ship to our troops- they make surprisingly good 'goodwill' gifts for the local residents, and a nice change of pace for female troops in particular.

• wannadanc
    18 years ago

How poignant that HIV folks couldn't be given these small samples. I certainly would not have thought of that "connection" ...........how blessed we are when we don't have to think about life that way. It makes me sad.

• thankurnmo
    18 years ago

Plenty of shelters would welcome them as well as- my favorite site.
    If you clidk on where to send, you will read various requests from the individuals posting on it. Many many want toiletries. Either way, just check out the site.

Here is a link that might be useful: anysoldier

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company