Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

Getting my home ready to host Thanksgiving

talley_sue_nyc
11 years ago

So, we finally got "custody" of the family Thanksgiving dinner!

And this means I have to have room in my house for everyone, and that I want it to look nice, esp. in the main 2 rooms.

So I'm going to use this thread to keep track of what I'm doing, and to motivate me.

I may even post pictures!

Comments (25)

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

First up: the piano corner.

I've already cleared out all the big posterboard things--science projects, etc. A couple of them went into the deep closet in case of future use. Others went straight to the garbage. And a couple of them, I decided to keep as-is instead of photographing them and then tossing. I have somewhere I can tuck them.

So you can't see where they are in this picture, because they're gone. (they used to be between the side of the piano and the wall)

Now I need to re-"file" the boxes of fabric in the closet where they were before Halloween.

(sorry it's sideways--I cannot figure out how to get it permanently vertical. When Photobucket stops acting up, I'll try to link to it there.)

And I have to do *something* about the mess of piano music on the top. Again--I don't think I have time for a permanent solution; I may need to just find a way to "containerize" it for now.

• gardenspice
    11 years ago

Talley Sue - There's no picture.

• jannie
    11 years ago

TalleySue-all I get is an ad for HardyBaker. I know you didn't intentionally mean to post spam.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

I have no photo either.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well, here's a shot of the piano corner, which has been the first project. Imagine it w/about 5 big posterboards leaning on the front of the piano.

(and normally there are about six things directly under the piano--tote bags, or bags of stuff that's supposed to go out to be donated, etc.)

I'll have some after photos tonight.

• SamWright
    11 years ago

After seeing the pictures, yeah you really need to get it organized. Plastic bins are great ideas.

• skywatcher
    11 years ago

Congratulations on getting to share your home with your family! A great motivator for organizing, yes?

That brown lidded basket on the floor looks like it's the perfect size for your music on top of the piano. But I assume it's already filled with something else? Might not fit on top of the piano anyway, now that I look at it. Yes, bins or decorative boxes ought to do the trick. I look forward to seeing more of that interesting sailboat sculpture.

• jannie
    11 years ago

Looks like you have a big job there. Please post the "after" pics.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've decided against a container up there--it will means that it's WAY too hard to get the music down and actually use it. And that is, after all, the POINT of the whole thing, right?

So I've decluttered the top of the piano--now I need to decide if I have enough/the right infrastructure.

I may need a second book end so I can stand the books/boxes on the right upright. Right now I won't do that because I don't want them to fall into the big gap between the piano and the wall.

Sorting through and tossing stuff (and setting some aside to go back to church, since I'm the church organist, took about 30 to 40 minutes.

I'd like to eliminate the plastic "project cases," but for now, they'll stay. They work well; they're just not so pretty, that's all.

I also have a stash of hymnals, etc., in the living room by the electronic keyboard. I use them there, usually, bcs I practice late in the evening with the headphones.

But I think I'm going to do some shuffling, because some of the things on the piano are in the "Music" category but don't get used that often. So they may not have to stay there; some are "Guitar Music" and could go elsewhere; others are "Christmas Music" and could go elsewhere for the other 11 months; some are more "Heirloom" but I won't look for them if they're elsewhere.

So, still some potential rethinking, but that top of the piano is ready for Thanksgiving!

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, the ship--it's a MegaBlocks Pirates of the Caribbean toy, actually--once it got put together, we didn't want to knock it down again. And I decided it looked sort of cool. I might rearrange up there so that it looks less "perched here temporarily" and more "showpiece on display." Put it in the middle, angle it slightly, and pull it forward to "claim" the space.

(We have a Fisher-Price Imaginext ship assembled somewhere as well. Watch for it as we go.)

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

love before and after photos

• Adella Bedella
    11 years ago

Not sure how you feel about putting things on the wall. I'd put up a couple of wall shelves that are like book shelves to hang on the wall to the right of the computer. That would minimize the clutter look and be handy. I'd put another shelve in the kid's room or other place for the ship. That would leave the top of the piano for pretty things.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The only thing is, I think the wall shelves for the music books (to the right of the piano, not the computer) would crowd that corner. You use that space to walk around the dining room table.

I used to have an actual bookcase there, a low one, but we shifted the door over and now there really isn't room for it.

I actually consider the ship to BE a "pretty thing."

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, I'm not sure that hanging shelves on the wall beside the piano would reduce the cluttered feeling--it would just move it around, wouldn't it?

I think some less cluttered-looking book setup on top of the piano would actually be more effective.

Like maybe a shelf w/ a top ledge and a curtain that flips down to cover them.

• Adella Bedella
    11 years ago

I like the look of the ship. I just thought maybe you were going for a different look.

I think if you had the books on a shelf, they would look more like they 'belonged' and would't look like clutter. Pictures don't always convey the feel of an area. It might be crowded. You know your space better. A covered area for them would be good also.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooh, I could have a shelf w/ a bottom, top and sides, and maybe doors or something. And then the ship could go on TOP of it.

Anyway, I'm not certain about the ship, longterm. We'll see.

But, the shelf would have to come later; this is good enough for the short-term goal.

• jannie
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting The Afters. You are making good progress!

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

If it was me I'd be adding shelving to the wall above the piano for some of those items. I am not liking the bare wall above the "too much stuff" on the top of the piano. If these items had more space between them I thing it would look far more balanced than the bulk of everything on one level.

Of course, given the depth of the piano it would be quite a stretch for some to reach a shelf there so I would put decorative items and some of your lesser used "project cases" up there.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ooh, Cearbhaill, that's interesting!

I like that idea, and I agree with you about the lack of balance!!!!

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm going to break this topic up into several posts, because I think it'll get long and unwieldy.

So go here for the next installment:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organ/msg112223232110.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Messy Area #1: the

• SamWright
    11 years ago

The pictures say it all that you have done a great job in making your room more organize.

• dbardot
    11 years ago

Great job! And yes, I love the ship, I would put it in the middle to showcase it on top of the piano. How about putting the music in something like this on the side of the piano that faces the wall to kind of hide it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Magazine Rack

• dbardot
    11 years ago

I forgot to add that I think your Piano is beautiful!

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That magazine rack is an interesting idea! The only thing is that most of that music is in "long-term storage." It's really the only place I have designated for that.

But this observation then leads to a second one, which is that perhaps I can move that storage to somewhere more hidden.

and dbardot, it is pretty, isn't it? It was an inheritance of sorts from my "NY mom"--the woman I stayed with when I first moved to the city, and who became my family here. She was moving into an apartment with an entrance that the piano couldn't fit into, and DH & I were moving into this place. She asked me to hold it for her, since I'd play it in the meantime. Then, when she moved to the next place, she didn't have room. And then she passed away. I told her son that I still had her piano, and what should I do with it? And he said, "I think Mom would be glad that you have it and are using it."
    My DH makes noises about getting rid of it, now and then; if I let the keyboard or the keyboard cover get piled with stuff, then I don't play it. But now that it's a little bit freer, I'm going to try to play it more.