Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minigreenhouse

Ties

minigreenhouse
18 years ago

DH has about 60 ties, just wondering how would you organize it?

Any input is appreciated.

Comments (17)

• maddiemom6
    18 years ago

Well first... does he wear all 60 of them?? if not get those out of there... Then decide if you want to hang or roll them. I happen to like the way they look when rolled up in a drawer with the use of a tie/sock organizer but most like to hang ties on a rack or some sort. In any case I like to keep my husbands sorted by color but he does not happen to really give a damn ;-)

Maddiemom

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

My husband wears lots of ties, but he probably only has around 40. He keeps them on this tie thing which hangs from the rod in the closet. It looks rather like a rib cage, with the little poles going out at right angles from the center pole. The ends tip up so the ties don't slide off. It only takes a couple of inches of hanging space.

It looks similar to the one in the link, but that one advertises only 12 ties. It can hold way more than that.

Gloria

Here is a link that might be useful: tie rack

• marie26
    18 years ago

DH also has way too many ties. I have a battery operated tie holder that lights up and the ties rotate automatically when turned on. The only thing is that you need a wooden rod to hang it from. It doesn't work with the plastic closet systems.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

:) rolled is the best way to store them.

I finally weeded through my dad's collection, hid all the ugly ones, rolled the rest, and put them in clear plastic bins clearly labeled 'maui prints' 'preppy' 'stripes' 'seasonal' and the like.

• jannie
    18 years ago

If anyone has extra ties, they can be sewn together in alternating directions and make a nice quilt. I saw a photo of one in a craft book years ago and it was very interesting looking.

• User
    18 years ago

Why is rolled the best way to store ties?

I just happened to unpack DHs ties today and I put them on a tie rack that holds 24 (12 on one side of a central pole and 12 on the other side.) Then I double hung 4. I was thinking with Maddiemom -- that's way too many ties. But 60! (Though there were the ties worn at DDs weddings, etc. that I wouldn't part with and his father's and ...... They fall on the floor sometime, so maybe rolls would be better. Why else?

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

OK, what is the proper way to roll a tie? Dumb question, but HEY I'M A GIRL! LOL I don't want to press them before they're worn, that's for sure.

DH has only a few ties so his are under control.

DS has a bunch of ties and right now I keep them hanging over a hanger in MY closet so they don't end up on the floor.

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

Julie, why would YOU have to press ties if you don't wear them? I can't be the only wife/mom who expects DH/children to deal with their own stuff, am I?

Gloria

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

Gloria, Gloria, Gloria... LOL

DH & sons don't care if their ties are wrinkled!! I, on the other hand, cannot stand looking at their rumpled ties. I keep them cleaned and pressed because it keeps MY sanity!

• kittiemom
    18 years ago

I'm also curious about why rolling is the best way to store them. My dad was in the Air Force, so he wanted his things put away in a certain manner. He didn't roll his ties.

I haven't counted DH's. I would guess it's around 25. He doesn't wear ties to work except for important meetings, so that's plenty for him. We store them on a rack on the back of the closet door.

• bianchi2
    18 years ago

HI, I am mostly a lurker, and believe me I am trying to clean up my act concerning magazines, old ties, everything. So thank you to all, I sometimes keep reading the same post day after day to keep myself motivated.
    Anyway, ties: I saw a decorating for Christmas show the other day, and they made a Christmas Tree skirt out of old ties, personally not my cup of tea, but it looked interesting.
    Bianchi

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

Bianchi,

COOL IDEA! I like that. And ties are VERY cheap at the thrift store. I'm putting that in my "project bank" for later.

Julie

• smom40
    18 years ago

Got a tie/belt organizer for DH for Father's Day this past year. We DO have a wire closet organizing system and it can be used with it.

Before that, he would hang them/drop them anywhere and it drove me nuts. He still leaves the occasional belt somewhere, but the ties are organized and not slipping onto the floor anymore.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tie/belt organizer

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

I've become OBSESSED now with the concept of a Christmas tree skirt made out of neckties.

Finally found someone who knows somebody who knows somebody who has directions. LOL

Meanwhile, we still don't know how to roll a tie.
    ????????

Julie

• mvastian
    18 years ago

Julie,

I'm curious: Did you make that Christmas tree skirt after all?

Maria

• sue102
    18 years ago

1)Sort throught he ties and get rid of the ones he doesn't wear.
    2)Buy some sort of system to have them hanging in the closet so they are near his dress shirts/suits.
    3)Make sure he is helping you with the sort and organization.
    4)I agree with Gloria that the best way to make people independent is to make them do the work! Ironing is for EVERYONE!
    5)There are a lot of projects using ties that you might want to try: pillows, quilts and throws come to mind.
    Sue102

• Julie_MI_Z5
    18 years ago

Maria,

I'm still collecting ties to make the Christmas tree skirt. We've estimated it will take 63 and I think I have 25 or so. I'm starting to collect them from thrift stores; one near us has beautiful silk ties for less than a dollar, and every so often they're marked half price.

Julie

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County