Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shouldn't I just get rid of these glasses?

Posted by talley_sue_nyc (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 14:40

Getting ready for Thanksgiving, I realized that nearly half of the glasses in the house have chipped rims. (Yeah, I thought they'd be OK in the dishwasher, I guess.)

So I wouldn't put them on the table.

And I thought, "Why am I keeping these?"

I do have the little file for smoothing them out (it works quite well, actually), but I wouldn't want to use the glasses for company. The everyday glasses are getting chipped by this damned machine too, but I'm OK w/ filing them down and using them for everyday.

But the wine glasses? And the crystal beverage glasses?

Really I should just ditch them, right?

I guess I was thinking I didn't want to have to spend $ for new ones--but if I won't use them the opportunity presents itself, then why are they taking up space.

I'm bummed--I really liked them. But....

What do you think?
Help me be tough!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shouldn't I just get rid of these glasses?

I would toss them. I don't want anything I can't set out for company. I don't buy expensive anything except electronics. I noticed my glasses were all etched by the dishwasher. It took years to happen and I got my moneys worth out of them. They are the break resistant, most glasses don't last long enough to see etching. I replaced them all for under $20., probably more like $15.

o

If they are not useful and/or if they don't bring a smile to your face...
toss 'em.

o

I agree not wanting to set those out for company.

But here's something to think about: Why would you settle for using things for yourself that are less than what you'd use for company?

If the wine glasses are in "company" condition, I'd keep them. Maybe they'd spark new reasons to have people over? A cookies and wine party!

(And don't feel guilty about buying new to replace old! Ikea, baby!)

o

When in doubt, throw it out!

o

I agree with lionors, when in doubt throw them out! Don't save anything you would not use yourself.
mary

o

Your glasses should not be getting chipped in the dishwasher to start with. From what I've been reading, chipped glasses mean you need to load them differently in your dishwasher. Besides only putting them in the top rack, make sure glasses aren't able to bump against other things during the cycles. There are so many differences in the way the upper racks are configured and the sizes & shapes of glasses, there is no one right way to load. I've just learned to imagine the glasses bumping around and trying to make sure they are wedged in enough to reduce the amount they can move. If everyone is "helping" with the dishes, you might want to inspect the way things are loaded before running the D/W. I always had to rearrange when my kids were home but I sure didn't want to discourage them putting dishes in the DW so I kept my mouth shut ;)

o

My upper racks stinks to high heaven, that's the problem. I've *NEVER* *EVER* had this sort of chipping with any other dishwasher (and I've had 4)--if they don't bump into other dishes, they bump into the rack itself. There really is no section of the rack that fits them smoothly without them wobbling. Or, well, there is--but it's only big enough to hold about 6 glasses.

I don't think there *is* a way to load the glasses that will hold them securely without bumping into other items or the rack.

At first I thought the problem was that these glasses are an odd size/shape, but I realized, I've had this problem with many, many shapes.

And, some of the glassware that chipped has a flared rim, so it ends up touching something else *very* easily.

This post was edited by talley_sue_nyc on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 19:02

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here