Return to the Organizing the Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning ink off my leather couch. Help!

Posted by toeshoes (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 1, 06 at 12:02

I have a tan leather couch that I've had for about a year and a half. It's starting to get dirty is places and has ink marks from ink pens. I tried to clean one of the ink marks off using rubbing alcohol but it took the tan color off with it.

I know there is a leather cleaner that furniture stores sell but the bottle is around $50 dollars and I'm not willing to buy a small bottle of anything for that amount. (Yes I'm cheap) Is there something comperable to the cleaning solution sold at furniture stores that I can mix up at home and use or does anyone have any leather cleaning hints? Thanks so much, our beautiful couch is looking yucky now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning ink off my leather couch. Help!

It was probably a no-no, but I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on mine. It dulled the finish just a bit, but who knows what the crud was so I didn't figure I was losing anything. You could test a small spot first.

Car detailing places would probably know of some things to clean ink if the good old stand-by of hairspray doesn't work. Most of the leather cleaners we've used in the past were for general grime. My cows must be pretty tough because some mild soap and water worked just fine. I can't believe how well this couch has held up with my crew.

Gloria

o
RE: Cleaning ink off my leather couch. Help!

My couch has an ink stain also. Even being careful rubbing it out changed the texture and water left a new larger stain. I think the type of leather may make a difference - distressed or smooth. - Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organizing the Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here