Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronbre

some really great salvage..

ronbre
14 years ago

well i've mentioned before that our family has been big on using salvaged items and my son is bringing home literally tons of salvage from the redo at his shop (bought by Chinese) and yes with permission.

yesterday I helped him unload a bunch of steel he brought home from work..this load was over 1/2 ton..and he was going back for another load

three of the pieces are amazing..they are 1/4 Inch thick steel panels that have a slight curve ..(imagine a playing card that you sqeeze on the sides a little to make a curve)..

they are odd sizes..but generally about 5 1/2 feet wide at the sides and 8 to 9' long ..we have unloaded 3 so far but there are more coming.

man them buggers are heavy..i got a finger caught and nearly broken under one..but i'm ok.

anyway..we need some storage buildings..and these will be the roofs for some smallish storage buildings..we will build one to park our tractor under..to keep it out of rain and snow..

he also got some 4x4 steel railing pieces that he can cut up to use for bracing for things or weld together to make stuff..and gobs of steel tables..some with lifts..some with bearings so the tops turn..some with rollers..some racks for welding and some huge freestanding racks for his garage/barn to put things on..like shelves..

but the curved steel pieces have our minds just churning..what structures we can build from them..i was also thinking that one of those would make an ideal roof for a root cellar !!

Comments (8)

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

I love salvage ideas. HGTV showed one of these metal overseas shipping pods for an outdoor storage room.

• quandary
    14 years ago

How very resourceful of you! This post caught my attention, because my neighbor is preparing for a complete kitchen renovation. Our houses are modest, but were built in the early 1960's when mahogany was inexpensive.

When I updated my kitchen 10 years ago, I installed granite countertops, but refinished the mahogany cabinetry. My kitchen doesn't really look updated, but I love the warmth of the wood cabinets.

Her cabinets will be in the dumpster within the next few days, and I'm wishing I could think of a way to save them from the landfill. Unfortunately, I can't justify storing them without at least some idea of future intentions for them.

• wantoretire_did
    14 years ago

How about garage storage?

• karinl
    14 years ago

Quandary: Craigslist!!
    Just ask her to put them outside the dumpster instead of in it... someone will come!

KarinL

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

Freecycle. Go to the link below. Find and join your local group. Post the items according to their instructions. They will be gone. Or donate to your local Habitat for Humanity.

http://www.habitat.org/ I don't know how to make links, sorry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freecycle link.

• quandary
    14 years ago

I saw these posts earlier this evening, and immediately started dumpster diving. Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm going to try to get this beautiful wood recycled!

• Billl
    14 years ago

I'm not sure anyone has done any research on dumpster diving, but I would have to bet 90% of the people doing it are just gathering more junk than they have a use for. My grandfather did this constantly. When he passed, there were 2 huge trailers of junk he had "salvaged" over the year but never used. My ex brother in law did this too. He once brought home 1 ski. Not a pair. Just 1. And he didn't ski.

Obviously, it is good to recycle and keep things out of the landfill, but only if you really can use the item.

• ronbre
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i totally agree, this salvage that Joel is bringing home is all stuff that will be put to good use..i am definately one that doesn't believe in bringing home things that you don't need..i'm the totally opposite of a pack rat as that was a family trait of my husband's ancestors..and i have discouraged it our entire life.

i told some people on another forum about the curved steel 5x8' plates and they suggested that we use them similar to spanish tiles..two curved up with one curved down between them..

their idea has given us the plans now sketched out for an 8 x 16 ' building with 3 pieces of 1/4" steel roof..so 3 of the 5 pieces will be used as soon as we can get the framing lumber and get it in..weather permitting before winter but if not by early spring.

one of the other ones will probably be used as a bridge and the last one will be used for a smaller building or for a root cellar roof