Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryliz_gw

How do you hang a wreath when you have a storm door?

maryliz
15 years ago

Maybe some of you detail oriented people can help me out with this. I hope this question is considered home organization.

I saw a really pretty wreath made of fake plastic conifer sprigs and pine cones. It actually was very attractive, despite my description. I was considering getting it. There were some of those wreath hangers -- the kind that is a thin band that fits over the top of the door, so that you don't have to pound a nail into your door to hang a wreath.

Very tempting. Just buy the wreath and the hanger, bring them home, and ... Presto! Instant holiday cheer for the front door.

I hesitated. What if ...?

Good thing I hesitated. When I got home, I took a careful took at our front door. We have a storm door.

What do you do to hang a wreath in that situation? How else can I decorate the door for the holidays? I don't think I can hang bells on the doorknob, because there won't be room for the storm door to close.

Anything simple, low-cost, that I can make myself? Any ideas for me?

Comments (23)

• des_arc_ya_ya
    15 years ago

We use fishing line that's strong enough to support the weight of whatever we're hanging on the door. Attach it to the spring "thingie" at the top of the door on the inside. Then let the line hang down from the top of the wreath on the outside of the storm door.

All that being said - the wreath hangs on the outside of the storm door, not between the two doors. Can you visualize it from my horrible description!? LOL

Hope this helps.

• jamie_mt
    15 years ago

I always just put the wreath hanger on the storm door, then hang the wreath on that (not between the doors, but on the storm door). Won't the thin wreath hanger fit on yours?

• kathleenca
    15 years ago

Or, another thought: I've seen houses where the wreath is hung on the side next to the door, usually under a sidelight.

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

I have a two-part magnetic hanger for the glass door. It's two metal discs about three inches across. One side has a hook on it, and the other...well...not. You hold the hook side onto the outside where you want the wreath to hang, and put the other inside opposite it. The magnets are very strong, and so I hang onto the back piece as I position it and sort of creep up on the door so it doesn't leap onto the glass...I don't know if it would break the glass, but why risk it!
    I am not sure where I got it...some catalog, no doubt. Maybe Martha Stewart? I bought another one at Ben Franklin last year, but the magnet wasn't strong enough to hold through my insulated glass door.

• donnawb
    15 years ago

They have the magnetic holders in Target, Walmart and other places.

• Maura63
    15 years ago

I've always done it the same as des_arc_ya_ya. Except sometimes I use green craft wire and thread it through the hardware at the inside-top of door, then over the door itself to hang the wreath.

Here is a link that might be useful: these seem pretty cool though!

• Maura63
    15 years ago

Another option.....

Here is a link that might be useful: similar concept with great reviews!

• maryliz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So far, the simplicity of "hang it from the storm door on string or wire" seems to appeal the most. I'll also look for strong wreath magnets. Thanks for the warning about the magnets "leaping" onto the glass. It figures that other people with storm doors have discovered a way to display a wreath, and invented some sort of handy tool, such as the magnets.

Another idea I have is to festoon the door frame with cedar roping. I would not mind attaching small nails to the edge of the door frame. (I would use nails that don't not rust.) Perhaps an alternate warm weather decoration could be grape vines (we have plenty of those on our ten acres) twisted into a swag. Tuck in some silk flowers to add a bit of color. But that's another project for another day. For now, I just want a winter decoration.

I'll let y'all know what I figure out. I have decided that this year, I'm finally going to have some sort of Christmas decorations at my house! Something simple that makes sense for me. Instead of displaying nothing, and just storing hand-me-down stuff in boxes because I don't have time & energy to do anything with it. If we can't use it, it's time for Freecycle.

• bspofford
    15 years ago

I hang my wreath on the storm door using one of those 'strap' hangers.

The first year we had the storm door, I hung the wreath, made of real balsam tips, on the inside door, not realizing how warm it got in that space when the sun shines. Cooked that baby pronto!

Besides, it's much easier to see if hung outside. And, if you leave it up long enough, birds may make a nest in it. Don't ask me how I know....

Barbara

• talley_sue_nyc
    15 years ago

will a Command hook hold up in the cold?

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

Good question, Talley sue nyc...I love Command hooks for my plaster walls, but haven't tried them outside. I also wondered if the suction cups would hold in the cold. Anybody know?

• talley_sue_nyc
    15 years ago

I find that suction cups just give way eventually no matter what.

• lynnkugele
    8 years ago

I've probably tried every magnetic hanger out there and the wreath falls EVERY TIME ...Finally I tried a regular over-the-door hanger and it works perfectly! My glass door closes with no problem and the wreath is very secure. The hook I used is heavy brass .. not one of the lighter weight ones.

• PRO
    johnmeto123
    8 years ago

Or, another thought: I've seen houses where the wreath is hung on the side next to the door, usually under a sidelight.

• PRO
    johnmeto123
    8 years ago

put a command strip up on the glass storm door and it would not stick.

• Elizabeth
    7 years ago

I hang my wreath on a nail in the siding - halfway between the front door and the nearest window.

• Linda Schwoerer Tria
    7 years ago

Use a Command hook upside down on the inside of the door, then tie fishing wire to the wreath and make a loop at the other end. Drape over the door to catch the hook and Waalaa...you now have a floating wreath.

• Donna Carpenter
    7 years ago

I'm loving the fishing line idea, but am concerned about the wreath swinging and banging. I've always used a handmade wreath since it would fit between the two doors, but it's not made of weather proof materials to go outside. It looks great lit up but is in the dark otherwise. If I make one for outside what adhesive will tolerate sun rain and cold?

• talley_sue_nyc
    7 years ago

Actually, what is the top of the door like? I hang things from the top of my mahogany-veneer closet doors by attaching the wire or cord to the top edge of the door. It's wood, so I can just use a staple-gun staple, or a little nail that I pound nearly flush. There's just enough of a gap that the door will close.

Also, if you can get the Command hook to stick on the inside of the door (up near the top), you could probably use poster putty or Quake Wax to keep the wreath from swinging around. It might not be enough to hold it up, but it would probably hold it steady.

Also: 3M now makes bathroom-capable adhesive strips for the Command line--one of those might stick to glass.

• straitlover
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

They make outdoor Command hooks, different sizes up to 5 lbs. Works on glass.

EDIT: oops, didn't see that this is an old thread. Sorry!

• dianejk079
    6 years ago

A regular wreath hanger fits perfectly over my front door. I bought two from Coldwater Creek bc I have double doors and double storm doors. It looks just fine and the wreaths fit perfectly as well.

• sunnydrew
    6 years ago
    Mine is on the front door and it get squished against the newly installed storm door when closed. As long as I don't scratch the glass, it does not bother me. It is a somewhat small and flat wreath anyway.
    I used a command hook for the Christmas wreath, which was a fall wreath earlier.