Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olgaflowers

Decorating ( less is more )

olgaflowers
16 years ago

Hello,

I would like to know if their is a website where I can

learn how to decorate With a theme of less is more. It's hard for me because I can't stand a bare wall Yet I don't want the clutter look. Are their book's that would teach me ? Thank ! Olga

Comments (9)

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I don't know of any, I'm sorry to say.

But I am like you--I can't stand a "blank" feeling, yet it's so easy to end up w/ so much stuff, and when I pare it down, I feel so much calmer and it's much more attractive to me.

yet decorative stuff just creeps in, and since it does, I find it a spot.

I'm going to start praying that no one ever buys me a decorative thing again. I'm 47--I have all the decor I need or want. And then some!

• munkos
    16 years ago

I don't know of any books, but the way I decorate helps keep things pretty uncluttered, but still 'done'.

If I really like something, but can't think of somewhere to put it, I don't buy it. None of this "I really like it, so I'll find somewhere to put it" Unless I'm willing to toss something I already have.

When I redo a room, I get the bare minumum. And I live with it for a while. After that, anything that still feels 'bare' and undone, gets attention.

I find after redecorating or redoing a room you need atleast a week or two to adjust to the changes before you know what you like and what you don't. It often looks off and 'bare' initially. Especially if you're used to a certain spot having something on it in/it and it doesn't anymore.

If you wish to keep what you already have - and use it. Take it all out. One by one, bring it back in. When you have the 'bare minimum' leave it. Live with it for a while, after a few days or a week, if something still needs that 'something' bring one other piece back in, or two. Leave it. etc, etc. Don't feel like you need to use everything you have, either.

I learned a really good tip on pictures too. If you have a long bare wall, above furniture or what not. Don't place several different pictures. It will look cluttered. Either buy the ones that are one picture in 2 or 3 frames, or a few pictures that are almost identical. It's much simpler and a lot easier on the eye, than different colours and shapes and sizes are.

The folks on the home decorating forum might be able to help with any books.

• olgaflowers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Munkos,
    I like the tip about different pictures. I'm looking at my sofa table where I have photo's of the family and You got me thinking to frame them all one color, it does all look mix match ! And I hadn't thought about taking everything out like you said. I want one to see what i'm trying to do as for decorating ! I will look for Home decorating on the forum. Thank's olga

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

One thing Martha Stewart's team always does is to take multiple pictures and turn the minto a single visual unit--use identical frames, sometimes even idental SIZE frames, no matter what size the pics inside are.

Then, hang them all in a big "blob" on the wall, w/ the same SPACING between them all.

This turns them into one thing, visually.

Hee's one story from her website

this shows different shapes, but all the same color, and all of a similar size, as a way to add on as you go. Notice the spacing between.

tips for how to hang them, physically, exactly where you want them.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Do pop on over to the Home Decorating Forum on Gardenweb too! Post some pictures of your places -- and there are some very creative souls over there too!

I have LOTS of stuff on the walls -- but remember -- sometimes a single LARGER artwork can really "fill" a wall visually.

BUT a grid pattern of smaller matching ones can really help too ..... just hang them close together!

Also remember that whole room or space flows together -- a grid pattern of matching botanicals on one wall -- with a single larger artwork (maybe of a garden?) would work on another wall ...... then add lamps of all sorts to create warm pools of light; tables close to seats so folks can put down a drink .......

And artworks can be tapestries; or sculptures; glassworks or ceramics even an area rug can create pattern or add to the mix ...... create small odd-numbered groupings (three or five objects .....) and then leave blank space to allow the viewer's eye to "rest"

• jannie
    16 years ago

How about a book of feng shui?

• amoretti
    16 years ago

REad the books by Lauri Ward--esp the first, Use What You Have Decorating. Her new one, which I haven't seen, deals with downsizing. These are not beautiful books (the first, and most useful, is positively unattractive, with awful photos) but give you step-by-step instructions on focal point etc. Decluttering is a theme as well.

• olgaflowers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank's everybody for You're suggestions. teacakes,I got that "Sometimes a single Larger "Fill " a wall visually "
    and " Leave space to allow the viewer's eye to rest" You should have seen me going from wall to wall and You're right Our eyes need a rest to see the next wall. I even ask my Daughter " Tell me How do it look to You " I do have to say Watching that Oprah show really made me think !
    About not having too much. I even manage to get a box to add things that had no more meaning I read on the decorating forum someone say " Has serve it's purpose " excluding the Husband !!
    And I know I need to go to Half price book's and browse
    at their decorating book's. olga

• livingthedream
    16 years ago

It's fine to have stuff on the walls -- just make up for it with less on other surfaces. (This has the added advantage of making cleaning soooo much easier.)

However, a key principle of less-is-more is that each piece should matter. So why diminish the importance of your pictures by putting them in matching frames? If something is worth hanging up, it is worth framing individually to show it off at its best. Family photographs should also be limited to just what is meaningful and framed accordingly.

Also, keep in mind that unexpected arrangements attract notice, a great reason not to follow rules unless they make sense for the piece in question. And some pieces actually look better above or below eye level.

If the problem is that you do not yet have meaningful stuff, start training your eye. The better the artist, the greater the likelihood of finding posters to experiment with until you find what you love. And you don't have to spend a fortune on framing either -- foam board could make a lightweight backing that's easy to hang. But don't settle for anything that doesn't make you feel good when you look at it.