Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beauzer12

Need Advice on Short-Term Storage during Remodel

beauzer12
11 years ago

I must empty the contents of my living room, dining room, kitchen and garage for a remodel job that begins in January. It is anticipated to take take two to three months for the job to be finished. I plan to pack as much as possible in moving boxes. There will be no upholstered items going into storage.

I am debating using an outside covered porch to store everything instead of using a portable storage unit that must be stored at a warehouse. The porch is quite deep, and it does not get wet, even when there is heavy rain. My idea is to use large tarps (under and over all the boxes and furniture) as an added layer of protection.

I live in a climate with moderate temperature and typically low humidity during winter and early spring. Is my idea of storing things on the porch for a a short time not a very good one? Would I be better off spending $600+ for a portable storage unit?

If anyone has done this and had either a good or bad experience, I would be so glad to hear about it. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments (8)

• jannie
    11 years ago

I'd spend the money on a storage unit. It's only temporary. But be careful picking a storage unit. Make sure the place is "climate controlled" and well lit. You don't want dampness or bugs or anything bad to happen to your belongings.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

One word: Theft

Use this as a reason to de-clutter. If it's not worth paying to store, it's not worth keeping.

Look into "Storage Pods" - the company delivers the pod, you fill it and then they haul it away. The disadvantage is that you have no access to your stored stuff until it is returned, but that might not be an issue for you.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Second word- critters.
    The last thing you want is a family of mice taking up residence in your stuff and peeing/pooping all over everything.
    And they will.

• quasifish
    11 years ago

A friend of mine has stored belongings for her adult children at different times, outside, over long periods of time in a somewhat similar manner. Their method is to pack everything into lidded storage tubs, and then cover the tubs with a good tarp. Apparently this has worked quite well for them. No idea what storage tubs are running these days, but moving boxes aren't that cheap either if you have to buy them. Wherever you end up storing your stuff, toss a box of mothballs around the base to discourage critters.

• CameronRobertson
    11 years ago

I think the covered porch idea is good provided that you are certain it can keep out the heavy rain for a long period of time. Will there be any moisture from vapour or dew that is formed after the rain has stopped? You might wish to experiment with the porch for a few weeks and if it can last that long, then you can probably use it for the next few months during remodelling.

• emma
    11 years ago

If you use storage, get the insurance and use pallets to stack stuff on. Three months is a long time, not sure I would opt for that. Did you get second opinions. I have never heard of one taking that long.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

"I must empty the contents of my living room, dining room, kitchen and garage for a remodel job that begins in January. It is anticipated to take take two to three months for the job to be finished."

January + 2-3 months = now.

The OP should have the remodel done by now, so storage is no longer an issue.

• dreamgarden
    11 years ago

I would be interested to know what the OP ended up doing.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor